Question about rebuilding my 10 bolt

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Gasoholic, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Interesting. I will have to talk with them tomorrow when I drop off my stuff.

I've been researching rules for the places I want to run my car and I'm pretty sure I can't run c clips at any of them. I'm wanting to run at Beech Bend for Camarofest and LS fest. And I'm hoping I can get my car fast enough that I can run it in open class at heads up nite at my local track. Thats a 10.5 1/4 mile class and I know I'm not there yet, but eventually thats one of my goals.

I do plan to run my car on the street but not a lot. Maybe run and get some ice cream or take it and cruise woodward on sat nights.
    I mostly want to have fun with this at the track. I dont mind fixing things but I don't want it to brake down on me every time I go there either. Plus people get mad at you when you run down the track and they have to spend a bunch of time cleaning up after you brake down. I don't want to be that guy :)

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Beech Bend is my home track. It's a pretty nice place.

3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

We love it there. Other than its always like 100 degres outside every time we go there.
    My wife has already booked us a place to stay for Camarofest this summer.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

I know c-clips have a history of failing under a heavy load, but the the Eaton Truetrac has a pretty good design to keep them in place with the solid puck and snap ring. I don't know how much they've been tested or proven out, but this is from Super Chevy September 2018 in an article about installing the Eaton Truetrac: "28. This round block is seated against the inner axle block which virtually eliminates the risk of C-clip failure. A snap ring keeps the round block seated.
    Has anyone heard of a c-clip failure when running the Truetrac differential?

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Like to see how the puck design works

6. big gear head

The problem with c clip axles is not that the c clip fails or falls out, it the fact that if the axle breaks the c clip will no longer be holding it in. C clip eliminators hold the axle in at the other end, so most of the time if the axle breaks it will not come out of the rear end.

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Yeah, its the difference between being tow truck material or being able to limp back home with your tail between your legs.
    Also when your wheel comes out it makes a mess on the track.

8. big gear head

The weld on Ford type housing ends are the best way to go, but also more expensive. They are stronger and much less trouble.

9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

The ford ends though, I'll have to get different brakes right?

I have a disk upgrade kit for my OE ends. The c-clip eliminators will still work with my kit.

I'm not opposed to going with some different brakes. Just it would save me money if I didn't have to.

10. big gear head

Are you sure that your disc brakes will work with c clip eliminators? Many won't. You can use your brakes with the weld on Ford ends as long as you get the correct ends. Moser 7900FM ends should work with your brakes.