Question about rebuilding my 10 bolt

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Gasoholic, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thanks,

I dropped it off. They're going to put the big ford ends on it. I guess that was what they quoted me anyway. When he described it to me on the phone I assumed he was talking about c-clip eliminator ends.

Also, (note to self) dont loose the side bearing caps. They are matched to housing.
    The housing I picked up from a friend I either mis placed the caps or I never got them when I bought it. So unless I can find the caps that housing is pretty much useless.
    Fortunately I have the OE housing with matching bearing caps. So thats the housing we are going to use. Probably just as well.

2. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Very nice! I was gonna say that since your cutting the tube anyways why not just put a Ford bearing end there.
    Like mentioned before, it's way more trouble free than the C-clip eliminator.

Gasoholic likes this.
  3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Putting big Ford bearing ends on a 10 bolt is the best mod you can do to that axle housing

I even opted for the large bearing ends on my Quick Performance 9"

Resized_20200805_132609.jpg Resized_20200805_132722.jpg

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

Thanks big gear head for clarifying it's the axle not the c-clip. I'll admit I'm not a drag racer and I have not actually seen an axle break. Is there a usual place that it breaks on the axle, or is it random?
    Just trying to get a better idea of where the week link is on a standard 10-bolt.

5. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Usually just past the splines. The splines usually stay in the differential while the rest of the axle and wheel come out of the rear end.

6. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Be sure that they install the flush mount housing ends. If they don't then you are going to have to get the caliper brackets counter bored to fit over the axle bearings. 7900FM ends are what you need.