Question for 71 Z28 owners

GREGS396

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 1999
allentown pa
All 1972 Z's have the Foil Z28 Sticker on the rear Spoiler as well. As far as I know even the 71's had the sticker with the 3pc. tall rear spoiler. The metal Z emblem for the 1pc, has a different taper to it. I have seen people use a Z28 fender emblem on the 3pc. Spoiler, and it is much thinner.

[This message has been edited by GREGS396 (edited January 04, 2005).]

70-SS/RS-L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 19, 2003
Phila area
My 71 Norwood Z/28 01D build came with the one piece spoiler.
The car did NOT come with a front spoiler….
Mark L

------------------
70 Nugget Gold SS/RS-L78 36,000 Mile
71 Nevada Silver Z/28 Just flipped to 48,000
Looking for a 87 GNX "For under 40 Grand"

jed14

Veteran Member
Feb 24, 2000
TX
OK- I think we're starting to get somewhere.... thanks again for all your help!

Here's what I' seeing so far- somebody jump in and correct me if I'm interpreting incorrectly-

So far, everyone who has a low, one-piece spoiler has the metal emblem, which is as expected.

Those with tall, three piece spoilers:

Citrus- 70, ? -METAL emblem
dalefs- 71, Van Nuys- METAL emblem
Dennis- 71, Norwood- FOIL decal

BTW- Citrus and dalefs- do you two know the part number for your metal emblem? No, I'm not asking you to pull your spoiler off to check! But I am very curious to see what PN emblem fits the tall soiler properly.

Mike- your assessment coincides with what my views were going into this based on Chevrolet literature. But Mark's response brings the front spoiler + the short spoiler issue into question. Mark- how sure are you that your car was originally delivered as you describe? If you're pretty sure, it seems that we have a contradiction to what I expected. How about you other guys with 71 one piece spoilers? Front spoiler from factory or no?

Also- my curiosity about my own car has been solved now with the help of Dennis and dalefs. My car didn't show signs of holes in the quarters for the three piece spoiler, but I thought it was possible that they had been filled/ repaired undetectably at the time of the rear body work since my build sheet definitely shows D80. HOWEVER- after seeing dalefs build sheet description for the three piece spoiler (D80 DLX DECK SPLE), I realized that it was different from mine which shows 'D80 STD DECK SPLE'. Apparently I was confusing build sheet 'shorthand' for the actual RPO presence. Makes perfect sense when you have the info side-by-side! Some of you judge-type folks should maybe add that to a notebook somewhere if you don't have it already.

I'm still curious about the front spoiler issue, and the metal emblem vs foil sticker issue, though. Please keep the input coming on those even though we apparently have the build sheet question resolved. Even though I now feel confident that my car should have the one piece spoiler, I need to know for sure whether to put a front spoiler on it!

Thanks to all for your help, and as stated earlier please jump in if you see flaws in my reasoning.

Joey

dkatap

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
Central IL
Joey, the front spoiler was shipped from the factory inside the car. This required the dealer to install it upon delivery. It is quite possible that the dealer didn't install the spoiler on Mark's car. I believe that the front spoiler was included on all 71 Z's. Just my opinion!

Dennis

70-SS/RS-L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 19, 2003
Phila area
It is very possible that the front spoiler was shipped with the car and was not installed by the dealer.
I have some pictures that were taken of the car in the late 70’s and the spoiler was not on it. From
what I understand they were delivered inside the car due to problems on the car carriers during
transportation to the dealers so they left them off and had the dealers install them.
Mark L

------------------
70 Nugget Gold SS/RS-L78 36,000 Mile
71 Nevada Silver Z/28 Just flipped to 48,000
Looking for a 87 GNX "For under 40 Grand"

dkatap

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
Central IL
In the assembly manual(upc D80 sheet 14A-1) you will find dimensions for front spoiler holes to be drilled in the lower valance panel at the wheel opening area and on the side of the panel. My thoughts are these holes were never drilled at the factory. They had to be drilled by the dealer when installing the front spoiler. If your car doesn't have these three holes on each side, and the valance is original, then I would think it left the dealer without a front spoiler. Just a thought.

Dennis

Chad Lawton

Veteran Member
Feb 26, 2001
Montrose,Colorado,USA
I remember ordering my car in the dealership. The upgrade spoiler package included 3 pc in back and the front dam in one option. My car has the standard small spoiler with the metal emblem. At the time I didn't like the look of the tall spoiler. My car built in Van Nuys. D80 STD DECK SPLE on the build sheet.Built May 5, "71.
As I read the other posts here I see a D80 DLX DECK SPLE. The only difference being the words dlx or std with the same d80 option. HMMMM.

[This message has been edited by Chad Lawton (edited January 05, 2005).]

zeebad1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 24, 2001
Northern IL USA
I knew I read about this somewhere....whether it helps, or not!?!?

http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/stegmiller/1971.htm

My Norwood '71 has the tall spoiler with the metal emblem. I don't know the build date, but I remember the Protect-O-Plate folder showing delivery date of April, 1971.
I know of another '71 almost identical to mine with the short spoiler. I guess I've only added to the confusion.

Latest posts