Question for 71 Z28 owners

ryork

Veteran Member
Sep 7, 2000
Indianapolis, IN
When I got my car, I got a lower valance with it the same color as the car. The second owner (I'm the 3rd) had the car since 1978 and said that was the original part for this car. It was pretty rusty in a few areas and is in my Dad's garage.... It had the holes Dennis mentioned above... I replaced it with an NOS one...

jed14

Veteran Member
Feb 24, 2000
TX
Dennis- great idea- don't know why I didn't think of that myself. I'll look at it tomorrow. I'm 99% sure I would have noticed them but you never know. I know there was body work done to the rear of my car as stated earlier, but everything in front looks original and untouched.

Chad Lawton- thanks for the info- did your car have the front spoiler? Sounds like it didn't from your post, but please verify for me. Yours is an excellent example for us since you bought it new.

Zeebad1- do you know the part number for your metal emblem?

Thanks again to everyone!
Joey

zeebad1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 24, 2001
Northern IL USA
<font face="Arial,Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by jed14:

Zeebad1- do you know the part number for your metal emblem?
Joey
</font>

The car is in the bodyshop now, and the emblem should be off in a couple weeks, so I'll check it then.

Chad Lawton

Veteran Member
Feb 26, 2001
Montrose,Colorado,USA
Joey---no front spoiler. The interesting thing seems to be that D80 option does not determine one or the other without additional information about each car. You would need the build sheet or window sticker to tell which is correct, unless, like the others guys said the holes are drilled in the valance panel or trunk area. The front air dam was never stock with the small spoiler. Just as a side note, I think the foil type emblems were started in 1973, but I cannot say for sure. That was the year without the Holley carb and no solid lifter cam. Good luck with your restoration.

dkatap

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
Central IL
Gary, glad to here your car is in the bodyshop. I take it everything is working out ok. When you get the part number of the emblem for Joey, could you look real close and describe (or take picture of) the nuts that hold it on? Do you feel pretty confident it is original to the car?

Joey, let us know what you figure out on your front spoiler.

Dennis

zeebad1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 24, 2001
Northern IL USA
<font face="Arial,Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by dkatap:
When you get the part number of the emblem for Joey, could you look real close and describe (or take picture of) the nuts that hold it on? Do you feel pretty confident it is original to the car?

Dennis
</font>

I could only guess that it's the original one on the car. A lot of panel replacement was done 22 years ago. I will definitly get some pictures for you. I want to get photos of the whole process anyway.

Gary.

LS3SS

Veteran Member
May 24, 2004
Toronto Canada
Although I'm not a real active member on the board I am always on the site reading and learning more about these cars and I wanted to say that I'm fairly confident that my '71 Z with 53000 miles and a build date of 6/71 is unmolested and it has a short rear spoiler and the front air dam but it also has the Ralley Sport package if that makes a difference..Thankss

jed14

Veteran Member
Feb 24, 2000
TX
I've sent emails out to several of you who have replied to this post. I've got the info from this post entered into a spreadsheet now to make it easier to look at, and there was some info that was missing or unclear that I wanted to include. If I asked for something that seemed like it was obvious in your post, please just bear with me....

BTW- still looking for more participants for our 'survey'. If anybody knows someone who hasn't posted yet who meets the criteria, please ask them to post their info or email me.

Thanks!
Joey

Joey

Bumpstick71

Veteran Member
Jan 20, 2002
Sugar Hill, Georgia
A buddy of mine in high school ordered a new 72 Z/28 (I was with him at the time). It had tall 3 piece rear spoiler and foil emblem and front spoiler as well. The 71's could go either way I think.

------------------
If all else fails...Tap lightly with a 5lb hammer!