Question for 71 Z28 owners

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
Museum car post #45 the stripes are too close together. The trailer Z post #46 looks like the correct space. Like to hear back from wickedbowties on his model year.

dc8v8er

Jun 20, 2005
NC USA
There has been a lot of discussion/ debate regarding the rear spoiler situation in 1971. I would like to hear from 71 Z owners who are pretty confident about the originality of their cars regarding the following:

1. What type of spoiler emblem did your car come with? Part number if possible, too.

2. Do you have the one piece or three piece spoiler, and what option code does your GM DOCUMENTATION show (build sheet or window sticker)?

3. Also interested in your buid date and build plant to determine if that's a factor in this issue.

My car had been hit lightly in the rear at some point and came to me with a replacement deck lid and no spoiler at all. My build sheet shows RPO D80, and I want to try to get it back together with the RIGHT spoiler and emblem package, so I'm looking for actual verifiable info, please.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joey
I have a 73 true Z28 and it has a foil emblem. I am almost 100 percent sure they were metal until 1973. The 73 has the 3 piece and the 1 piece low rise spoiler options. Mines has the 3 piece.

Attachments

• 4169EC13-BF3B-42D6-AECE-CCA7756DF21F.jpeg
    4169EC13-BF3B-42D6-AECE-CCA7756DF21F.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 15

OFLHLG

Aug 29, 2010
Finksburg, md
Original (I've spoken to the original owner).
1. Metal emblem.
2. One piece....my original window sticker just refers to it as "air spoiler" (but this may also be referring to the front spoiler) under "Z28 Equip."
3. Norwood - 05A build date.

------------------
Charter Member - WFO Club
1971 Z28
Front spoiler was an option

atb5144

Jul 4, 2016
Eastern Shore Maryland
I have a 73 true Z28 and it has a foil emblem. I am almost 100 percent sure they were metal until 1973. The 73 has the 3 piece and the 1 piece low rise spoiler options. Mines has the 3 piece.
1973 definitely didn't have a one-piece spoiler option. That was phased out in 1971. What do you base your certainty regarding the metal spoiler emblem up until 1973 on?
Front spoiler was an option
There is no RPO for the front spoiler as a standalone option. They were supposed to be installed at the dealer following delivery to ensure they weren't damaged on the truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts