Question for 71 Z28 owners

Ote

Sep 24, 2017
Kennewick, WA
There has been a lot of discussion/ debate regarding the rear spoiler situation in 1971. I would like to hear from 71 Z owners who are pretty confident about the originality of their cars regarding the following:

1. What type of spoiler emblem did your car come with? Part number if possible, too.

2. Do you have the one piece or three piece spoiler, and what option code does your GM DOCUMENTATION show (build sheet or window sticker)?

3. Also interested in your buid date and build plant to determine if that's a factor in this issue.

My car had been hit lightly in the rear at some point and came to me with a replacement deck lid and no spoiler at all. My build sheet shows RPO D80, and I want to try to get it back together with the RIGHT spoiler and emblem package, so I'm looking for actual verifiable info, please.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joey
I'm the original owner of my 1971 Z28. I ordered it in February of 1971. It was built on April 1, 1971, build date 04A. It was built in Van Nuys, CA plant.
A standard Z28 metal emblem is located in the center of the spoiler.
There are no decal or foil emblems on the car, they are all metal (red Z and chrome 28)
Rear deck stripes extend over the spoiler.
It is a one piece (short) spoiler. They did offer a 3 piece (tall) spoiler along with a front air dam with option code D80.
I didn't select that option, so one piece short spoiler and no front air dam. Also, I only selected the Z28 option and didn't select RS or SS option, so one piece straight bumper in front and no fancy interior. Here's the window sticker.
Final Window Sticker Portrait.jpeg

Last edited:

Beef

Jun 30, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm the original owner of my 1971 Z28. I ordered it in February of 1971. It was built on April 1, 1971, build date 04A. It was built in Van Nuys, CA plant.
A standard Z28 metal emblem is located in the center of the spoiler.
Rear deck stripes extend over the spoiler.
It is a one piece (short) spoiler. Later in the year, I believe they offered a 3 piece (tall) spoiler.
I am also the original owner of a 1971 Z-28, ordered it in Feb 1971 and was delivered May 1971. When ordering the car I was asked do you want the Rally Sport option or the SS option? The Rally Sport option had the split bumper, air dam, tall rear spoiler, I wanted the full bumper and one piece spoiler, I was told it is the SS option. It also has the 4:10 rear and M22 4 speed. The other thing that happened is I wanted black with antique white stripes, black interior, I was told this option was not available, I challenged him because I found out it was the first year for the Z28 color option, I got it. The car just turned 35,000 miles, I never drove it that much but now trying to drive it more. Had to change the radiator support because of rot, the only one I could find was not for the Z28 option, had to get it cut but worked great. Just sharing some info.

Dec 4, 2003
Canada
I have a 1971. and since it is a Canadian car I requested the build sheet from vintage Gm of Canada department years ago. It states that it was equipped with a D80 with auxiliary panel option. It was manufactured in Norwood September 1970. I presume the panel is the front spoiler, and that it had a tall spoiler. it has a short spoiler and no front spoiler now. I am going to look for the evidence of a front spoiler now. Good reading you Camaro gear head enthusiasts!

atb5144

Jul 4, 2016
Eastern Shore Maryland
I am also the original owner of a 1971 Z-28, ordered it in Feb 1971 and was delivered May 1971. When ordering the car I was asked do you want the Rally Sport option or the SS option? The Rally Sport option had the split bumper, air dam, tall rear spoiler, I wanted the full bumper and one piece spoiler, I was told it is the SS option. It also has the 4:10 rear and M22 4 speed. The other thing that happened is I wanted black with antique white stripes, black interior, I was told this option was not available, I challenged him because I found out it was the first year for the Z28 color option, I got it. The car just turned 35,000 miles, I never drove it that much but now trying to drive it more. Had to change the radiator support because of rot, the only one I could find was not for the Z28 option, had to get it cut but worked great. Just sharing some info.
I really don't mean to be rude, but none of this makes any sense.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I really don't mean to be rude, but none of this makes any sense.
51ish year old recollections do tend to fade. Taking a wild guess he means the salesman effed up on "new" colour options on the z28s and further, they had a discussion about z28/RS and SS/RS combinations.

Peter Wilson

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2006
Chance Harbour ,N.B. Canada
My '71 Z28 was bought new in N.B. Canada , It is a first week of May 1971 build date . has the short rear spoiler with the chrome Z28 emblem . This car has only 11,000 miles on it and had the front spoiler when I bought it in 2006 but the original owner told me that he had the dealer install the front spoiler when he first got the car . I dont know if it was delivered inside the car from factory or if he purchased it after the fact, from the dealer parts dept . possible it was delivered with the car and the dealer charged the owner extra for it anyway . I have met many car salesman that would not be above doing that . My GM of Canada documentation does not specify one way or another whether the front spoiler was part of the D80 package .

Latest posts