Question for car audio guys

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by tlongwel, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

What model pioneer speakers will be the best bang for my buck? I remember reading that once you get past a certain point you cant tell the difference in quality of sound if you pay more. My 04 civic has 6.5" in front and 6x9 in back.

I know nothing about the specifics of speakers which is why I'm asking. I have an amp and subs (2 12" pioneers) but I would rather have awesome sounding music that I can crank up rather than ear crushing bass. So looking to sell the subs and replace with speakers.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not sure who is telling you these things......
    But there is a quality difference in speakers, and Pioneer is your blue collar
    basic speaker from my perspective. I don't think they are bad, but I don't
    think they are great either. They're like Levi's Jeans.....

For blue collar stuff, I'm more of a Kenwood speaker fan VS Pioneers myself.
    I also think having a subwoofer adds depth to music if properly balanced.
    Most people I've seen TRY to build a system throw some components together
    incorrectly and it sounds like dookie.

Dual 12's can sound right if balanced , or totally destroy the sound with overbearing bass.
    Most cases, I've seen the latter.......I like dual 10's better for my Rock and Metal.

3. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

You can't tell the difference if you're tone deaf, which many people are. What sounds good to the average person may not to a true audiophile.

Then there are preferences. Some people like their music to sound bright with a high level of upper frequencies. Some people like a more natural sound. Some people like the sound of an AM radio. Some people like nothing but bass. It's not about what someone else thinks of your speakers in your car. It's about what you think of the speakers in your car.

On that note, go to different places that have a sound board setup and take your favorite CD/song with you and listen to every option available within your budget. The personal opinions of what speakers sound like to people here are irrelevant if you don't like the way they sound.

Now, onto my opinion. :D

To me Pioneer or Kenwood speakers are very "bright" and get a bit harsh. I like a more subtle sound that's more natural. The Polk Audio DXi655 components w/silk dome tweeters are going to be my next purchase for my 2012 Civic. They sound very smooth and have excellent mid-bass response.

Your ears will tell you what you like.

4. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Even the high end stuff, you can tell a difference in, if you're paying attention to detail. Coaxials aren't ideal if you're looking for sound quality.....whether running speakers off headunit or amplified power, you can only go so far before your processing ability becomes your bottleneck. Then it's time to upgrade your music processor(headunit) to one with more detail settings.

If you're looking for middle end equipment, then the Polk DX series like AJ mentioned would be a good setup to use. I've personally had decent luck with some of the Audiobahn stuff of today, like their SCA branded stuff(Swiss Car Audio) and their O2 branded stuff(Oxygen Audio). The higher end stuff like Morel, Hertz, Focal, Blues, etc would be considered the cream of the crop, as far as the quality of sound and the detail, being able to hear the sounds in old songs that you didn't even know you were hearing, because they were being drowned out by other more pronounced sounds in the track. For everyday junk just for listening and rocking out in a daily driver(Jimi Hendrix distortion!!!), you can't get any better than the walmart pioneer speakers. If you wanna go the extra step and separate the coaxials, then you'll notice a big difference in clarity. Usually you just cut the tinsel leads smooth with the top of the woofer cone, unbolt the tweeter from the pole piece, remove bolt from backing plate of magnet, then cut a piece of single layer cardboard and glue over the hole left in the cone, that way it converts the cooling system to an active setup(pole vented).....versus using coil gap compression to cool the coils. Then just mount the tweeter wherever you want, it will already have it's built-in Hi-pass soldered in, and you just use the tinsel leads to connect your speaker wires to. Not nearly as hard as I just prolly made it out to be. :p

5. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just don't be like this guy. :D

******DO NOT PLAY THIS VIDEO IF YOU ARE AT WORK*************

[youtube]AAw3swLvY-0[/youtube]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. patwhac

patwhac Veteran Member

Hahahaha :D

7. 7975camaro

7975camaro Veteran Member

I'm running a Pioneer stereo with Alpine Type R speakers. I love them...nice and loud and it kicks hard enough for me

8. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ROFL!!! I've gotta try this at walmart.....set it so that there is about 3min of silence at the beginning so I can have plenty of time to get outta there and have my partner in crime stay there to record it lololol.

9. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Hahaha that vid is awesome. Will have to try that sometime. But back to the speakers lol...

As of right now my car has all stock everything. I have been debating over what kind of headunit to get...would like a double din but can probably only afford a single right now. Will spend anywhere from $100 to $150 on one. Headunit MUST have aux/USB integration at the least...would LOVE Bluetooth. Speakers I would like to spend around $100 for all 4. Honestly I was planning on getting everything from Craigslist.

Maybe I am being a little to cautious with this...I seriously doubt if I enjoy my stock setup (which i do, just bored of it) that I would think upgraded speakers and headunit would sound like garbage. Especially at the price I'm paying...there are some AWFUL speakers out there for very very cheap lol. I will be listening to mostly rock, some rap and country too. All need to be able to go up to Max vol with nothing blowing.

Ona side note...can't I buy an equalizer to blend the setup?

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed.

You will get 100 different opinions from people due to the musical tastes, their age (IMO) and their budget.
    People like my brother don't even know what a speaker sounds like but will blow $1600 on a set of speakers
    because of the name brand and a salesman got him all starry eyed over it. :confused: