Question for car audio guys

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by tlongwel, Jun 27, 2013.

1. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Even the middle end headunits(out of your price range), cannot go to max volume before you get distortion(DC+/- waves cause clipping, destroying voice coils). Usually 85% is the max volume you can go with non-audible distortion on most units. I would get an active crossover(analog is cheaper) and set it to keep unwanted bass out of your mids and highs.....they'll last alot longer. You can also do this from your headunit, if it's got the crossover settings in it. For your price range, I'd look at some of the older Excelon units on amazon, you won't find a better price than that on craigslist. Just pull up all the Kenwood Excelon units on amazon in their own tab, then go thru the specs of each until you find the one(s) that has all the options you want, within your price range(can help to filter out ones with unneeded options), etc. Then choose your flavor and go with it.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

why not ??? That was hilarious.......

The one universal language everyone knows.......

3. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

The excelon unit does look good for its price. I definitely like the look of it too. As of now I'm debating between these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aMIPYrRnh0H/p_130X3500UI/Pioneer-DEH-X3500UI.html Pioneer

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-eXcel...id=1372439838&sr=8-1&keywords=Kenwood+excelon Kenwood

Problem is, no excelons are available locally Craigslist. The pioneer is and for $75 brand new in box. Would it be wise for me to spend the extra $25 and get the Kenwood?

I also would love Bluetooth but the price jumps up by like $75.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  4. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Or would it be a good idea to save up like $200 and get a double din off Craigslist?

5. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

6. BLKnBad71Z

BLKnBad71Z Veteran Member

I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X591 that i was going to be putting in the for sale section. In great shape with all the instructions to install and operate. It has a removeable faceplate with a storage bag, remote control, usb and ipod hookup cables and 3-sets of pre-amp outputs. I was asking $75.00 for it if your interested. I'll give you first shot before i post it. You can PM me for more info and pics. Thanks

7. HyPer

I've also got a KDC-X496 I got for my show truck, but later changed my mind for one with a more in-depth EQ system. Do some research and throw me an offer, it's just sitting in the box collecting age.

8. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

^ well I would like to know, are you able to change the color of the led backlight? I looked it up on amazon and its just the style I want and is selling for about $100...not sure what to offer ya though. It is used but I don't wanna lowball you...

I honestly am shopping for the headunit based on looks because I don't know jack about performance lol. I trust you wouldn't buy one that performs poorly ;)

9. brandon Z28

brandon Z28 Member

I personally have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X493 and I love it. Kenwood make good quality without breaking your bank.

10. HyPer

Look at the current new price(when I bought it, it was $225 new), and take 25% off current new price and that's what I'll take. If it has any issues within Kenwood's normal warranty time(even though it would technically already be outta warranty), you can send it back and I'll have the local Kenwood repair center fix it for you or give you your money back(if it isn't fixable).