Question regarding 79 z28 and 81 berlinetta camaro

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Renkotsu, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Renkotsu

Renkotsu New Member

I have 2 camaro and i need to get of the 81 berlinetta , the differential is good and the tranny leak a little .

My question is this , are the transmission and differential the same model from 79 to 81 z28 or standard camaro model.

Also while im in this section i got a manual 4 speed transmission i took off a 78 z28 , and im not sure what model it is what should i look for to find the model name .

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Differential is the same but the gearing may be different.
    The 81 transmission, assuming it's a TH30, is probably a TH350C (with lock-up converter) or possibly a TH200C (metric, with lock-up converter).
    DO NOT use a TH200 behind a V8. They are weak and were designed for 6 cylinders

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

All Camaros and Firebirds from '71 to '81 used the 8.5 10 bolt. There were a few differences in them over the years, but they were minor. The yoke changed in '76 and the bracket for the brake hose was moved somewhere around that time, but that's about it.

The 4 speed from the '78 should be a Borg Warner Super T10.

4. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

81's were the first year for computers being in the vehicles. I'm not sure if that would make a huge different but just thought I'd point that out.

5. Renkotsu

Renkotsu New Member

I dont know if the 81 camaro transmission is the original when i bought the car it came with a 350 and the guy said it was from a older camaro , i need to find the code to check ,since im planning on taking that block in the z28 , the motor in the 79, im pretty sure the 350 from the 79 is quite beat up , everytime the motor get hot , i cannot get it to run again unless i wait for it to cooldown, and it's been running on gas that has been in the tank for god know how long .

6. Renkotsu

Renkotsu New Member

thanks i was not sure if it was either a borg warner or a saginaw ,

7. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

BW has 9 bolts in the side cover. Others have 7. If it has 26 spline input shaft and 32 spline output then it's the ST10.