"Quick & Dirty" '71 SS

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
I've been beating on my camaro's rotted framerails and saggy suspension for 3 years now! I finally took it off the road for a frame-off resto, the goal is an all old-school street machine.

Brief summary of the car up until this point: Bought off ebay in jan '09 when I was 20. Got it from Ohio for 6K as a driveable project with a hopped up .060 over 350 in it and tons of spare parts. Had fun going around the block for a bit, went to start it one COLD morning and water pump was frozen solid- motor had no antifreeze just straight H20. Block had 2 10" cracks down the water jackets on both sides, making it a great boat anchor not much else.

I had no idea how to do engine work, but learned quick and built a fresh 383 off a junkyard 350 motor, using the awesome dart heads and most other parts from the old punched out 350. That took me 6 months and about 2 grand, she has been my daily driver ever since..

The car also has a built up th350 w/3200 stall, 4.10 posi 10 bolt, stock z28 wheels and street tires. It is an original SS/Z27 car. Runs great, recently drove it down to Island Dragway and ran 12.96 @ 106mph.

One more thing- I've never washed my car, it's been in black primer since I got it and don't really intend on painting it. When the time comes, I'll probably shoot it with satin black, something that I wont care about scratching or spilling brake fluid on or going dukes of hazzard down dirt roads or whatever. I'd rather spend my time driving or wrenching on the car then cleaning, waxing, etc.. not to mention the expense of a decent paint job.

I'll try to post less words and more pics..

Here are a few taken just before I started tearing into it, many more to come:

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

-Andrew

Last edited:

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
where were those pictures taken , off of all angels road somewhere ? i didn't even look at the name or where your from and i recognized that view .

GOLF72

Veteran Member
Jan 11, 2010
CORONA, CA
Love your story and you live in a beautiful area of NY. When you think of NY you dont invision those pictures.

Good luck on your build. Keep the pics coming.

rvalley

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
Castalia IA
i love this body style! its amazing what you can learn just by watching youtube, anything is possible with just a click of the mouse. good luck on your build

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Those pics I took right up the road from my house.. Used to be the local 'make out point', haha many good times were had up there. They recently put up a massive housing development though so no more fun:( . You can see some of the huge houses in the corner of the last pic.

The view is right outside the city of pk, and I believe the catskill mountains back there somewhere. shot from between rt 55 and 44.

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
MassD said:
I was at the track when you ran that car! I have a gold 70 if you remember!

How could i forget. that thing is SICK! very cool to meet you wish I could say my car is gonna be that fast when I'm done

Here's a pic from Island taken by the photographer dude

IMG_1696.jpg