"Quick & Dirty" '71 SS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by bitchin'71SS, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bitchin'71SS

bitchin'71SS Veteran Member

I made this for measuring between points on the frame- everything checked out good (within 1/16" of factory spec) except the rear rails which are bowed in 5/8" at the rear body mount holes/ 3/16" @ firewall body mounts

[​IMG]

you can tell just from the crossmember holes that it needs to come out at least 1/2". Weird thing is i had the thing bolted up for the whole welding process..:confused: must have sprung as soon as I zipped the bolts off.

LH side
    [​IMG]

RH side
    [​IMG]

Here's my setup for straightening her out, thanks johnL71rs for the idea

Just need to get a torch over here to heat all the welds around the area where the cradle atatches to rails. Also I'll probably spread em from behind the rear LCA mounts instead of where the jack is in the pic

[​IMG]

2. bitchin'71SS

what year is it ?

Been making slow & steady progress. the subframe has long been straightened out, both framerails are done, both front floors replaced, subframe bolted up on solid DSE mounts.. Subframe aligned to body.. complete PTFB comp. suspension kit installed for mockup.. I've been real bad at remembering to take pics but I promise to post pics soon of how she sits now. I cant even explain how cool it was to have 4 tires on the ground!

I took a week off work, 9 days total first week of march, to dedicate solely to the camaro. I've been rounding up parts, bought a 4spd super t-10 from a member here.. ordered S&W 8pt roll bar.. picked up an original gas tank on craigslist.. gotta make sure I keep busy! cant wait.

Goals for that week are SFC's, Rollbar, Trans tunnel 'hump', and mockup of most everything under the car - gas tank, new tranny, clutch linkage (auto to manual conversion), ebrake cables, exhaust, etc..

All of this is just setting up for having the shell blasted which will be a huge milestone.

Pics coming soon!

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is looking good! I need to repair the subframe mounts on mine so will be taking a look back through your thread as well as a few others to help me plan mine.

4. bitchin'71SS

back on all 4 feet

This pic is from almost a year and a half ago, framerails & torque boxes DONE

[​IMG]

Floorpans in progress..

[​IMG]

This is my redneck alignment rack.. mocked up the entire suspension to make double sure I got the subframe in straight. did many x-measurements with the plumb bob, as well as a rough front end alignment and wheelbase measurement.

[​IMG]

ST-10 I bought from a member here, switching from auto to manual. Opened it up, gears look great but synchros are shot so I'll be doing the overhaul in the near future.

[​IMG]

5. bitchin'71SS

PTFB comp kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bitchin'71SS

How she sits now, with 4 speed mocked up

[​IMG]

7. bitchin'71SS

DSE frame connector install

I wanted to powdercoat the front subframe, as well as keep it removable.. so I modified the DSE connectors to allow for a 'bolt in' subframe. I think with 3 5/8" bolts on either side with well over 100 ft/lbs on em it should be just as strong as fully welded.. Sleeves are 1/8" wall, press fit & tig welded in place. I also went with DSE solid body mounts, with hardware store bolts (dse wants $100 for stainless bolts :screwup:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bitchin'71SS

No pics but I also found an original 71 gas tank in good shape locally, got it bolted up with new straps & hardware.. I wanna have EVERYTHING going under the car mocked up because right after blasting, she's going right back up on the rotisserie and I'll be shooting the whole underside w/ eastwood 2k chassis black.. Then i can finally bolt up the (powdercoated) subframe and all suspension, brakes etc. for good and move on to the rest of the car.

Pics to come of rollbar install, so far so good :cool: main hoop and rear struts are tacked in, I slapped the old headliner and rear side panels back in there and got the bars as close as possible without touching.. also leaned the hoop back with the door edges.

Next up will be the short bars kicked out to the SFC's.. then hanging the doors & panels for mock-up and getting the swingout door bars welded in, as well as the pin-out back brace. Then welding in the tunnel hump (not quite sure where to locate it?).. and welding the PTFB rear swaybar brackets to framerails.. and I'll finally, maybe, be about ready to have the shell blasted.

? or not, haha.. I WAS going to do my tailpanel project later on down the road, but I'm thinking now, before blasting may be the best time to do it... Need to replace both inner & outer tail panels AND trunk ext's. as well as patch up the hole where the old fuel cell sump went through the trunk. I should probably replace the tank strap supports as well one side has a bunch of holes drilled through it from the old fuel pump :screwup:

I also have some rot in the driver side cowl/ windshield corner, and some rear glass area metal to replace.. that I think can put off awhile longer :rolleyes:

9. yoyo74

yoyo74 Veteran Member

nice work from another local. I switched to 4speed also and will never go back.

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Damn, the bolt up to the sub-frame brings back memories for me. I have an extra rear panel for sale if interested. $55 plus shipping. new/used pm me if interested.