"Quick & Dirty" '71 SS

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
yearly update..

Rollbar is done, not alot of progress here but it's something. Still have a few things to take care of with the suspension, then time to replace inner tailpanel & trunk ext's so I can get ready to blast & prime the shell.

I also got the ebrake set up w/ new cables

I really considered doing DSE minitubs and a 4 linked 9 inch. I already have the 9 inch too, its just too much money that I don't have right now... going to have to wait til 'someday' haha. I'll run it with what I got til it's time to upgrade

The bar is 8pt S&W w/ Chris Alston clevises

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
The rear is definitely squatting.. I had to jack up the rear axle AND put a couple hundred pounds in the trunk just to get the rear shocks to bolt up. No movement when trying to jounce the rearend.. going to need to run shock extensions for sure. This is the PTFB comp kit w/ Viking double adj. shocks. When I called Dave about it (a loong time ago now) he said he hadn't heard of anyone else having a problem and confirmed they were the correct shocks.

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Going to order 2" extenders for the rear shocks and see how it goes, anybody ever run the ones that go on top?

http://www.mcbayperformance.com/2_3_REAR_T_STYLE_SHOCK_EXTENDER_SET_p/se-200_se-300.htm

Spoke to Dave about it again today, apparently I'm not the only one who has run into this issue but he wasn't sure why. Lots of variables involved so who knows

I think ?? all I should have to do now is the rear inner tail panel and trunk extensions, then I can finally blast & prime the shell.. I cant wait to get a nice coat of chassis black underneath and finally start putting her together.

Last edited:

Turbo70Camaro

Veteran Member
Jan 7, 2005
so cal
bitchin'71SS said:
Going to order 2" extenders for the rear shocks and see how it goes, anybody ever run the ones that go on top?

http://www.mcbayperformance.com/2_3_REAR_T_STYLE_SHOCK_EXTENDER_SET_p/se-200_se-300.htm

Spoke to Dave about it again today, apparently I'm not the only one who has run into this issue but he wasn't sure why. Lots of variables involved so who knows

I think ?? all I should have to do now is the rear inner tail panel and trunk extensions, then I can finally blast & prime the shell.. I cant wait to get a nice coat of chassis black underneath and finally start putting her together.

Hey bud look at my build thread, on the last few pages you will see my shock extenders on the Viking shocks and how I went about it.