Quick question.... Cowl Tag

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by Camaro Tim01, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Member

My cowl tag was missing off my car when I got it, is there a place that reproduces these if you give them the info they need to stamp the correct numbers on it ?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

There are places that make up cowl tags, but if you don't have the original one, you don't have the information to make a correct new one. The places making new ones don't have the correct information either so there is no way to reproduce a totally correct one. You are best off just not having one if your original one isn't available to copy.

3. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Member

I thought using this :
    https://nastyz28.com/2gcog/stegmiller/cowl_tags.htm#la76
    and decoding the vin, along with knowing the original paint color and having the original interior, I would be able to come up with what the original tag was.
    COWL TAG 1976-1978, LOS ANGELES76-78 LA Cowl Tag
    (1)76=1976 model year, 1=GM,
    F=Camaro, (Q=Sport Coupe,
    S=LT), 87=hardtop
    (2)L=Los Angeles, plant of
    manufacture.
    (3)Fisher body sequence
    number, does NOT
    match VIN.
    (4)Interior trim level and
    color (see list)
    (5)A51, bucket seats. (on all cars)
    (6)W=water based paint on LA cars
    19L=lower paint color code (see list)
    19U=upper paint color code (see list)
    Letter codes in upper position for vinyl top
    (7)06C=month & week of build 6=June, C=third week
    (8)Color of steering column & inst. panel (incomplete listing)
    | CODE | B | U | T | C | A | G |
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | COLOR | black | blue | tan | red | lt. gray | green |
    (9)"3" for power windows or "-" without
    (10)8=Z28, S=Berlinetta or LT, Z=RS, blank or dash=Sport Coupe
    (11)unknown

But I've looked around and these guys want upwards of $250 -300$ for a reproduction tag...
    Heck there are guys on ebay trying to sell them for 400-500$

So no tag it is !

budro6968 likes this.
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The problem with getting a reproduction tag is (#3 Fisher body sequence number.) Each assembly plant used a different pattern of assigning these numbers, and unless you know what numbers were assigned to cars built directly ahead and behind your car, you can't come up with a number that would have any real accuracy. In the future if a car built the same day shows up to compare, your reproduction tag would stand out as a fake.
    So, they aren't worth the money. They don't serve enough of a purpose on the car that putting on a reproduction would be worth it.

The VIN tag on your car is the one that matters for legal and any other identification purposes.

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Possibly.....there are alot of members and the list is growing. If you post your year and VIN sequence, someone might have the next up or down VIN. I rather have a 80-90% solution trim tag than not one at all.

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Seems like a replacement cowl tag would only serve two purposes...to fool yourself or fool someone else?

I guess i can see the point of having something there. I actually would like the idea of no cowl tag. You can make the car anything you want and not try to match a piece of tin (aluminum actually) screwed to the cowl. Either that or have some fun with it and put a number like 0000000001 with the next line saying "Yeah, its the first one ever made!)

7. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Member

Not trying to fool anyone, just nothing there and if I could get one I'd like it as when done I want to bring it to cruise night and its something people look at.
    As for fooling, you'd have to be a fool to believe just that tag as the VIN is the most important number and with that you can tell from a quick online search if the cars correct or not.
    That and when done I plan to be buried in it after all the work thats going into it along with the sweat thats dripped on to its body and the blood from the sheet metal knicks.

With that said, if someone does do a resto mod and changes the color of the car, adds 4wheel disc, ect... I don't see anything wrong if they get a tag created and place it on the car with the new info for the mods done in it as long as when they do sell it its divulged that it was done.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I looked at one of those repro places. They are crazy to charge that amount. Then charge extra for the rivets too if your application used them. Also sell the tool to install. What a racket.