Quiet my ride!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by wmrry1128, Feb 20, 2021.

1. wmrry1128

wmrry1128 New Member

G'day gents,

Little while ago I picked up myself a 79 Camaro. Didn't really know what I was looking at (buyer beware and all that) but man do I love this thing. The previous owner put in a Hanes Big Daddy, Hooker long tubes that I can't remember the pn on, 3" exhaust going into some Magnaflows. The thing is LOUD. Neighbors don't like me, but thats ok. With the kids coming up in age, I'd like to go for a rip with them, but I'd also like to not deafen or have it so loud they hate it.

My first plan was to put larger mufflers in it, but thinking about it, I don't think it will do quite the trick. Second plan was to reduce the pipes from the headers back to 2.5". Does anyone here have any advice or tricks on parts and materials?

2. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Some mufflers would probably make a big difference.

Don't know which magna flows your running but magna flows use glass packing and they tend to get louder and louder the older they get.
    I personally wouldn't loose the headers or down size the pipes. But if your looking to make it quiet as stock, ewwww, sorry just sort of makes me ill just thinking about it, you'll have to loose the headers and put it back the way it came. Yuck.

Just try some new mufflers. Flow master delta flows are pretty quiet without being totally lame.

75Maro likes this.
  3. wmrry1128

wmrry1128 New Member

Agreed. Usually the simplest option is the best. This part of the project is plagued with indecision, like so many others.

Thanks for the insight!

4. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Quieter mufflers with electric cutouts before the mufflers for when you want to let her rip!

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

not mentioned....does it have tail pipes? are they "proper" Camaro exit location? step 1 is tail pipes if it is currently naked!!!! The exit should be over the rear tire pointing down about 45* ALSO....pointing OUT about 15* so as to NOT "bounce" sound under the fuel tank /trunk area

6. wmrry1128

wmrry1128 New Member

Fair point, I did forget to mention. It does have tail pipes, also at 3 in. They do curve over at about 45* but do not point outward, more towards straight down.

Good idea about the bounce, didn't think of that