race pumps

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by vader2, Sep 30, 2008.

1. BADBLACKZ

BADBLACKZ Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

A good friend of mine has been struggling all summer with this pump...

He did EVERYTHING Race Pumps told him to do to a tee, completely re-configured his system twice and yet it still leaves him stranded on the side of the road regularly.................JUNK !

2. vader2

vader2 Member

Thanks for all of the info, should have asked before I purchased dah!. Anyway if it doesn't work as advertised I am going to raise holy ^%$# with the company. Not to mention that I am in the military and use the Virginia, North Carolina area tracks and will spread there performance via word of mouth.

3. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

I bought this pump and matching regulator for my EFI setup last year. After reading about the problems with leakdown and the resulting hard starting I decided to stick with the electric EFI pump and regulator that came with my EFI kit.

The pump and regulator are new in there original boxes. Under NO circumstances will Race Pumps offer a refund.

4. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

I'm in the military too and it didn't help! although I was more concerned about daily driver reliability and suspected I was losing pressure somewhere between the pump and the efi system when it sat making it tough to restart. If its track only that arrives via trailer, maybe take your chance.

I wasn't aware of some later issues until after I sold it and the buyer told me about a $75 upgrade and asked to get the original paperwork from me.

5. vader2

vader2 Member

I am running this with a pro systems 1000 cfm carburetor, shouldn't have the leak down issues, however the claims of eratic fuel pressure has me concerned. I will say that the regulator advertised was not the one I received. This one has the vacuum controlled fuel pressure. It is supposed to be 5 psi at idle all the way to 9+ psi (depending on preset) at wide open throttle under load.

6. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

WOW... that right there should tell you something about the company. I never knew that.. So if you were to buy it through summit, you couldnt return it either? A company not standing behind it's product is not a good thing.

If this is the case, I know I'll never get one.

7. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

one of the guys on here is running one on his carb'd drag car. I can't remember his name and I gots to get of the internet asap but he's Texan and answered some of my posts on this. So if you just search some of my posts, you should be able to locate him. He'd be the best source of help for you on here if you stick with it.

8. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

SpeedAddict02,

I bought my pump / regulator directly from RacePumps. Howards reply:

I will not accept the parts for return.

If you had a problem I would help you sort it out.....but the system is bulletproof.

Howard

Summit has always been good to me for a refund, I'm sure they would take it back if you don't want to chance using Howards pump.

Some people have had good luck with the pump, for others, it's been nothing but grief. This holds true for carbed or EFI setups; and the same problems have also been noted with the "new and improved" seal design.

John

9. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

X2. for a stock/mild street motor they might be OK, but so will an Edelbrock. for any kind of HP, go electric, there are lots of benifits to it.

Bob

10. vader2

vader2 Member

Again I really wish I would have asked the question before I bought the pump, regulator, AN fittings and braided hose. Have about 600 into it already. I did get it through summit, so if it is sh$t hopefully they will take it back, might even send summit a letter on this, assuming it is junk. Should have it running this weekend so we will see. Thanks for all of your inputs.