Radiator help! I’m losing my mind

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by VoodooChildZ28, Jul 16, 2020.

1. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

Howdy folks 1970 Z28 at some point a non correct radiator was installed prior to my ownership and I found out the hard way after cruising, it began to queef rad fluid and launch a legendary steam show. I thought overflow was missing but hell no , this year did not have overflow. Now here’s the real humdinger, I can’t find a flippin radiator without an overflow nipple! Not champion, not cold case, not be cool, no one I can find. I’m open to a custom build if necessary I just need someone to get it done. Nice radiator with electric fans, is that too much to ask for?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I don’t believe you will find a radiator without an overflow port. If you don’t have an over flow port then when you have an over heating issue something is going to burst from the pressure. 1970 did not have an overflow tank. The overflow hose went down the side of the radiator and was open to the ground.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

So I should run a hose to the bottom and let it poo out coolant?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nope....perhaps you should consider an overflow bottle instead. There might be a reason that you can't find a radiator without one. (Don't want to sound snarky, but it may help your cause).

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Coadster32 is correct. All radiators need the overflow. Early cars simply had a hose that directed the excess fluid out onto the ground. With that system, the radiator cannot be full to the top as fluid expands when it gets hot. The radiator can only hold as much fluid hot as space allows and when it cools, it will drop a couple of inches in the radiator.

Best solution is to add an overflow jug so the radiator can operate completely full. When you add the overflow jug, you also need a different radiator cap that allows two-way fluid flow.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

that was my original mission, to find original overflow. Which doesn’t exist, so I figured the original did not have one. Generic bottles don’t allow for flow back into radiator, but I guess that cap is the solution

KingofThings likes this.
  7. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

Ok so hopefully this solves all my problems input appreciated! Thank you all for this remarkable Z forum

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I put a 1980 Z28 overflow tank in my 70 Z28 with the 80 Z28 type rad cap since I ordered a 1980 Z28 new and sold it in 1990. I’d rather puke in the overflow tank and have it suck back in automatically than piss on the ground then buy more antifreeze.
    [​IMG]

KingofThings, 73 Z and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Spirit In Black

Good info. Thanks. I'll have to deal with this, too. Even though my 71 has the original radiator, it pukes on the ground, too. One issue among many that will need to be addressed when the resto starts.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Damn cost shure have gone up that's pricey$.

4th gen fans, fan controller, 2nd gen rad, generic overflow
    Fan, radiator.jpg coolant catch.jpg

KingofThings likes this.