Ragged out 77 Z-28 Restore Mission

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by ZRODDER, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Yes it does. I believe I will have it on the ground and making noise by end of summer. Also I told my buddy with a body shop to plan on me using his paint booth by the end of the year.

2. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Thanks Is777z, yes just knowing it will be on the ground soon is great. Had a health setback that has slowed my progress down. I have however been doing some small stuff. Wiring, testing wheel and tire fit, small part cleaning and painting. I'll post some photos later to bring everything up to date.
    Keeping my knuckles bruised.
    ZRodder

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

275-60-15s (1).jpg 275-60-15s (3).jpg 275-60-15s (4).jpg Concerning rear wheels on my stock quarter panel wheel well 1977 Camaro, I’m seeking feedback from others that have ran 15 inch wheels with back-spacing of 4.5 to 5.5 with 60 and/or 50 series tires. I’m actually going to run 275/60R15s on the rear. The wheel width range I’m looking at is 9 to 10 inch, preferably 10 inch, but this is where the back-spacing question comes in. With a WELD 15x8 with a 4.5 inch, it appears by the measurement a 5.5 inch back-spacing will work. However, to buy a 250-dollar wheel to test this theory is beyond my risk taking. Yes I tried, and I can’t find one to test with.

An article I found on HOTROD Network at the link below https://www.hotrod.com/articles/fitting-tires-wheels/ states the following.

1970-1981 Camaros and Firebirds

Camaros use 15×9 with 5-inch backspacing in the rear; Firebirds can use 15×10 with 51/8-inch backspacing in the rear. Use tires with an aspect ratio of 55 or less with widths of 255 front, 285 rear. You’ll need to remove the outer rear seatbelt anchor/retractor and flatten the bulge in the rear wheel well with a hammer. ------ END------

So, from your experience, what do you think? Please provide photos if you have some.

Thank you, ZRodder 1977 Z-28

Attached Files:

4. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

I put 255/70/15 on the rear of my car. I wanted the 60's too but any rear passengers (2 kids) was a concern. It gave me the stance I wanted and helped out with the gears. But, seeing as it looks like you already have the tires.............never mind.....:happy:

5. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Thanks for the input. Actually these were a friends equipment. Been trying different combos out. I'll look at your option too. Car is still on the rotisserie, so I have the time. Thanks