Raised Compression 383 or Mini Supercharger?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by shawntmartin, Jul 18, 2014.

1. shawntmartin

shawntmartin Veteran Member

Thanks Damon. You were in most of the older threads I read. I'm starting to lean towards the nasty sounding cam with a 50hp shot. I planned on a forged rotating assembly anyway in case I want to get more serious. I'm looking for a low 12 sec street car, and I though a fairly stout 383 with a safe 50HP *might* do it. At least for the cheapest price.
    Still looking for opinions.

2. shawntmartin

Thanks Damon. You were in most of the older threads I read. I'm starting to lean towards the nasty sounding cam with a 50hp shot. I planned on a forged rotating assembly anyway in case I want to get more serious. I'm looking for a low 12 sec street car, and I thought a fairly stout 383 with a safe 50HP *might* do it. At least for the cheapest price.
    Still looking for opinions.

3. shawntmartin

And Im interested in those Jegs/Profiler heads. How do like them? Which cheater system do you have and how does it perform

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

If you're going to go the nitrous route and you are planning on using and all-forged bottom end, don't stop at 50HP. Nitrous systems work best when you max out the plate. If it's built for 150HP max, like the old NOS "Cheater" systems were, run it full-bore at 150HP.

If you take a 150HP plate and only run 50HP of nitrous through it, you know what you get? Fuel distribution problems. The nitrous doesn't care, but the fuel will NOT come out of the holes in the spray bar in a consistent way. It drizzles out instead of spraying out and mixing evenly with the nitrous.

Dialing back the nitrous HP level doesn't make it "safer". It just exchanges one set of problems for another.

I used to run a lot of mild street motors with nitrous systems back in the day and they all ran best right at the limit of the plate, plug coloration was the most even, too.

Just make sure you have adequate fuel delivery when you run a nitrous system. If you don't, it's instant death, forged bottom end or not. Detonation in a nitroused motor is NOT the gentle pinging like you have in an N/A motor. You'll never hear it. You'll just know it happened when you are spitting piston chunks out the exhaust or pushing a head gasket.

5. BeefTip

BeefTip Veteran Member

I love the heads. When I bought them, they were like $50 cheaper than directly from profiler... sometimes it's the same price just to order it from profiler. I like the fact that these heads are basically setup for some really good port work.... I bought these with the same idea that I (like you) could upgrade to a 383 one day and use the same heads.

As far as the cheater kit, it is the standard NOS kit that I got for a killer deal on amazon a few years back for under $300. I have not sprayed yet, I'm still waiting to get a purge kit and the Mallory 685 controller I mentioned earlier. The cheater kits come with jets for 150+, you have to order for lower. Some have told me that the cheater kit plate is not efficient under 100 shot. There are many great kits out there..I just have NOS due to the deal I got.

Here is the kit I have:
    http://m.summitracing.com/parts/nos-02001nos

Don't ask me how I got it so cheap...'maybe it was a glitch on amazon that went my way.

6. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Bingo Damon hit the nail on the head with the magnuson. FAR better for a street car. Instant power any time you want it.

1. In most states it is illegal to have a nitrous bottle in the car
    2. You will constantly be taking the bottle to get it filled

We have the magnuson on our 63 nova. Awesome little supercharger. It it miles ahead of the old style 142/144 supercharger. Can make more boost, cooler charge, bypass while cruising means no parasitic drag, instant boost when you floor it etc etc.

Stay away from the edelbrock. They started making it in house and made it so you can not change the pulley without extensive modifications. We have the earlier edelbrock version that was made by magnuson so we can change the pulley easily. We run the 6AL-2 programmable along with a 3 bar map sensor to read the boost. Lock the distributor out and use the box to control the timing and boost retard. Very easy stuff and full control.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Sorry for the dumb question.... but what is a "mini" supercharger?

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I assume he's talking about the smaller roots blowers, like the 144 mentioned, rather than the big 6-71s and such.

9. AEGIS43

AEGIS43 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also might be a dumb question, but big torque N/A and supercharged you get to enjoy the power all over the rpm range. But with nitrous, you better be at WOT when you hit it or bad things, very bad things.

Am I wrong?

Who's at WOT on the street all the time?

10. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Not to shoot down the nitrous completely; you can still have a lot of fun without spending big bucks on a rebuild/extensive modifications. I run the Sniper Kit from Holley, spray it through a nearly bone stock 305 with 100 shot, and it just sucks it up and spits it out, makes the rear end go all wonky on you to ;) Several bursts, and never misses a beat to date.

Don't be afraid to try it, its not like its nitro-methane or dynamite. Sure the stuff can be dangerous, but treat it with respect, provide a GOOD FUEL SUPPLY, and follow the setup instructions carefully, and go have fun. You can play for a while and take it off, and if you go blower route, you can still put it back on later if you choose.