Random Poor Running/Stalling

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
Dove my Camaro to work this morning, longest highway drive since I've owned it, about 22 miles. About 3 miles from my exit, I tipped into the throttle in 6th (~68mph and ~1800 rpm), and noticed a hesitation/miss. Pushed in the clutch and it died immediately. My first thought was that the PCV hose came loose from the carb base (again). I coasted for about 1/4 mile preparing to do some roadside fix, but figured I would see if I could re-fire. Bump started and ran "ok", then cleaned up and idled fine 2 miles later when I exited. Accelerated cleanly from the stop and for the next mile or so until I got to work. Shut it off and it re-fired and idled no problem. Just a fluke or ???. Car has all new fuel system, pump, tank, rebuilt carb. New Accel HEI with Summit cap/coil, MSD wires, and AC plugs Runs 185 deg all the time. I've had the car on longer drives but not so much extended highway driving. Never had this issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
My initial thought is fuel related. I know fuel system is new but check your filter. Also check float level in your carburetor.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
It could be electrical too.
Check your engine ground to the frame or firewall.

The torque on the engine, when you hit the throttle in 6th, may have rocked the engine enough to give the ground a little tug and temporarily lost the connection.

Just a thought and it's easy to check before you go digging any deeper.

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
It could be electrical too.
Check your engine ground to the frame or firewall.

The torque on the engine, when you hit the throttle in 6th, may have rocked the engine enough to give the ground a little tug and temporarily lost the connection.

Just a thought and it's easy to check before you go digging any deeper.
Could be, but I've got fresh engine to body ground straps and brand new high strand battery cables. My subframe and body are welded together.
I've hammered on the car WOT through 3rd gear without issue. The "tip in" today was to lightly accelerate from 65 or 68 to 70 mph.

My first suspicion is the Chinese Summit ignition parts.

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
Just had carb apart for a jet change, perfectly clean, but I blew everything out anyway.
Vacuum advance is plugged into the port in the front of the base plate. (650 DP).

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Pardon my "canned" HEI answer but the pole piece (AKA "pick up coil" in the distributor) causes problems like that. While it may be fuel related, eliminate ignition first.

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
Ride home wasn’t much better. Acted fine on the freeway, about 7-8 miles.
Jumped on it pretty hard and it pulled fine through 2nd gear and fell flat on it’s face going into third. Had to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running and it just didn’t want to pull the car along, even in 2nd gear. Let it die and coasted to a stop. Let it sit for 30 seconds with the fans running and it refired and ran fine. I didn’t test it again.
Fuel pressure is 6psi with a return style system. Is it possible my float level is so high that I’m flooding the engine through the vent tube under hard acceleration?
Doesn’t explain the episode this morning, though…

Last edited: