Random Poor Running/Stalling

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Do you have a relay going to the pump? My "low fuel pressure" light in my nitrous controller would come on before I installed one.

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
Removed the gas cap thinking I might have a venting problem, no different. Moved the fuel filter to the outlet of the pump, no different. Hot wired the pump, no different. I’m completely baffled at this point. It has to be something with the pick up/sending unit or maybe I need to install a sump and 1/2” fuel line, or bite the bullet and go in-tank pump. Really sucks because I missed the Dream Cruise and Back to the Bricks this weekend because of this stupid issue…

Last edited:

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
I finally figured it out this morning. My fuel filter was plugged. Unhooked from the carb to begin draining the tank, and fuel just trickled out. Good pressure directly out of the pump. So I removed the filter and bingo. I took the filter apart early on in this journey, and it looked fine, but apparently the sintered bronze element is all plugged up.
Also managed to burn up my fuel pump controller by placing the diode across the relay coil backwards, shorting the output or that’s what I think happened anyway. So, $280 to replace a $12 filter element. Oh well, it’s finally fixed and I can drive it without fear of getting stranded.

Bandit723

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2016
Waupaca WI
I finally figured it out this morning. My fuel filter was plugged. Unhooked from the carb to begin draining the tank, and fuel just trickled out. Good pressure directly out of the pump. So I removed the filter and bingo. I took the filter apart early on in this journey, and it looked fine, but apparently the sintered bronze element is all plugged up.
Also managed to burn up my fuel pump controller by placing the diode across the relay coil backwards, shorting the output or that’s what I think happened anyway. So, $280 to replace a $12 filter element. Oh well, it’s finally fixed and I can drive it without fear of getting stranded.
Well do i get a half a told you to futz with the filter? sucks you burned out your pump controller bu am happy you figured out the issue.

Latest posts