Re-Re-install the back window

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by reinhardt79, Jan 17, 2016.

1. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

My back window leaked 10 years ago. I finally fixed it when it FELL out. Yes, one morning it slide down the trunk lid. I pulled it and glued it in. I bought the glue from Sherwin Williams auto supply shop. I did the best quality work I could, didn't half-ass it. That is about all I can remember about the install.

Now it is falling out again. The sides are both loose, the glue is only holding the top and bottom now. What did I do wrong? I plan on having the car for another 10 years and don't feel like doing this again.

I checked the stickies, but didn't find a good install how to. I tried a search and only found snips of info. Someone got the time to write a complete how to? What paint to use on the body, for the glue to best adhere? Prep on glass for glue to adhere? Best glue? So on. Thanks for the help.

Ben

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What kind of "glue" did you put in? The current preferred way to install windows is using urethane window sealer. It is used on new vehicles, and it holds better than anything else ever invented.
    Any auto body supply shop would have it along with the necessary prep materials to install it.
    However, you should check around for a local glass shop and ask them for a price. Often, they will install it for you cheaper than you can buy the materials and do it yourself.

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Usually there is a "primer" installed first.
    If you like to set glass yourself,as I do,you could use the Butyl strip,instead of the urethane glue.That needs a primer too.
    Half the crowd is gonna love it,the other half is gonna say youre courting satan,lol.
    I use the butyl because it works,proper height right off the bat,and I can cut my glass out with fishing line,not damaging my paint.
    My glass sits fine,does not leak,and is not loose.
    Luckily I dont have any airbags in my 72 camaro,so I dont need the front windshield to be"part of the structure".

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I haven't had this problem with the car; but, I did have to replace a rear glass in my truck. A glass company that buys windshields from me recommended using the butyl strip that Krabben mentioned. You have to remove all the previous glue from both the glass and the body. Then lay the buytl strip on the car and install the glass.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you drive the car then after many years Butyl will fail and the glass will sink to the mounting surface and you'll have a large gap under the window trim. When you redo yours, make sure you install 2 small rubber blocks that stops the glass from sliding down and sized properly so the trim will go back on. Maybe visit an auto glass shop and get 2.

6. krabben1

If you go the butyl strip way,3M usually includes the blocks with it.

7. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

I asked Binswanger Glass (local to me). They quoted me $90 to install, with me doing all of the prep work. They made a point to tell me they aren't responsible if it breaks. They also told me they don't have a source for a new piece. The last two facts made me interested in installing it myself.

$100 is a good price for me not to have to deal with it. But the thought of them breaking the glass and me being SOL changes that idea. I think I'll call a couple more shops.

The butyl strip sounds good for a home install. How long can I expect the seal to last?

8. krabben1

Mine still looks the same,its been 5 years so far.
    You need the primer for the butyl strip also.
    Try to find a bodysupply near you.They have all that.The primer for it is in a small,pill size bottle and is shiny black.

9. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

It's called pinch weld primer. I have been doing a little research on this just yesterday as I plan to set my back glass in the near future. Read where someone said to cut up an old tooth brush to use for the spacer blocks. Anything plastic and the right depth should be ok. I think they were around 3/8" or so when I had my one done on the last car. You may also want to try and find a smaller business installer. Bet you can find some old guy who has done a million of them to do it for less. Guy who did mine charged me about $85 I think. I'm going with the butyl seal and do it myself this time. You can get that from Rick's for $12.99. My 73 glass would probably be easier to set than your 79 though.

10. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

I'd use urethane