rear bumper rubber tab repair

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by BlauZed, Jan 29, 2020.

1. BlauZed

BlauZed Member

got a 79Z with a sagging rear urethane bumper, (drivers side) discovered the tabs were ripped and so I pulled off the side strip that holds it in place. Whats the best adhesive to repair these torn tabs? they feel like rubber to me and I want to use some E6000, bond them back together. Anybody have any experience with this. Thanks.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

https://repaintsupply.com/3m-05895-automix-ez-sand-flexible-plastic-repair-kit-p459.html I always liked this product. I use a worn scotchbrite pad to back up the part. Tape the part where it fits. Make some grooves to give a grip. Smear the mix into the scotchbrite to saturate and stick it. let it set up. Then on the front groove the parting line where it broke and rough up the area around it and reapply the just the mix. Let it set. You can sand it and shape it to make it look normal on the side seen. Then use regular plastic filler to hide imperfections. Prime prep and paint. The back I would only shape to lay as close to flat that you need to retain the backing for strength. I have seen some use metal screen and heat up the back side and force it in the Hot plastic. That could be helpful if you need a really flat repair. Good luck.

3. BlauZed

BlauZed Member

Appreciate that advice. I’m also wondering if the rear bumper is supposed to be stretched to fit? The tabs that tore are the two that attach to the strip on the rear quarter panels. To put mine back is gonna require some pushing to get the holes lined up. It’ll just tear the tabs again I fear. Should I remove the rear bumper and see what’s potentially holding it off? Or how right do these stretch to fit ? Thx

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Got to remember that the bumper cover is over 40 years old. I'm sure it's got some deterioration that may still yield some issues. I opted to just replace mine with a new aftermarket piece from OER. The original one on my '79 was starting to show stress cracks and dry rot. We could have worked it over to look good, but I knew I'd have a lot of work in something that I would have to replace in a few years anyway.

5. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

GoldenOne,
    How was the fitment of the OER replacement? I am looking at their front bumper replacement.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I used OER front and rear covers. The front cover's dimensions are pretty good. But the alignment of certain mounting points were off. The headlight cutouts are a bit small. Getting the headlight bezels to fit took some effort...they're tight. The parking light bezels fit a little loose...has a gap on the top. Upper and lower grill openings were good.

The factory chin spoiler mounted easily since I used the metal mounting strip from my original bumper.