Rear disc brakes for my modified 10 bolt

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Gasoholic, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Hoping you guys might be able to help me figure this out.

My 10 bolt has the strange small "special chevy" 3.150 ends, P/N H1143.
    My axles are made by Moser. They are custom made to fit and keep my wheel base. They're quite a bit larger diameter than stock. No part number just ME AXLE SHAFT-RP "custom moser" 30 spline with 2" x 1/2" x 20 studs.

The back spacing is 2.75. I've measured it several times. Axle flange is 6.125. Center registar is 2.77.

My problem is I can't seem to find many options for the 2.75 offset.

Moser P/N 6200-1275 looks like a fit, but doesn't specify if they make brackets for staggered shocks. Maybe doesn't matter? But it does specifically say it fits the 2.75 off set.

Wilwood offers P/N 140-11400 kit. I called them and looks like it will fit despite some conflicting info from other sites that list this kit as being for a 2.81 off set. Wilwood shows it as fitting the 2.75 off set. It does specify for staggered shocks. Only offered with e brake option. And I'm not using e-brakes but obviously I could simply eliminate the shoes.

Strange offers P/N B1718WC kit. Again doesn't specify for staggered or not. Big issues is it says for 2.83 off set.

Finally it looks like if all else fails I could go with one of many "economy" kits. Just not the way I want to go really.

Looks like the wilwood kit is probably the safest option for fitment. So suspect unless anyone has other suggestions I will probably order that one.

Curious though, is the difference between 2.75 and 2.81 off sets truly an issue?
    If I could go with the 2.81 it opens a lot of other options for me.

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

only issue from "staggered" shock would be the type of caliper being used as the mounting plates are symmetrical What i see you have listed are 4 piston calipers so MOOT on the stagger being an issue.(With single piston...it depends on where the bleeder is...upside down is not ideal) NOW the 2.75 vs 2.81 ..the calipers mount BEHIND the mounting plate and usually come with "shim washers" to allow you to move/center the caliper on the disc. So if the hat is made at 2.81 distance ... you would need to add a 1/16" "SHIM" between the caliper and the mounting plate...non-issue.

3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thanks F-bird.

I have a kit that is supposed to fit stock axle. But the caliper support is made to mount on the back side of the axle housing flange. And since I installed the "special chevy" ends the tube is now larger and wont fit as you can see in the pics.
    The stock drum brake system fits fine since the backing plate mounts to the front of the housing flange. It sandwiches between the u-bracket bearing retainer and the flange perfectly.

It appears to me that my support bracket will need to mount to the front of the flange. Between flange and rotor. Similar to the way the backing plate for the drums attaches.

I left an email with Moser but no reply yet.

KIMG0353.JPG

KIMG0346.JPG

4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

So after reviewing the different instructions for various brake kits I ended up ordering the Wilwood kit.
    140-11400-R - 140-11400 - Wilwood Dynapro L/P Brake Kit - 12 Bolt w/Bolt In Moser GM Ends (2.81 Offset) Staggered

I will simply delete the E-brake shoes and hardware.
    It's not the cheapest but the low profile and fitment should work out good for what I plan to do. And they will match the front wilwood brakes that I already installed. Also called Wilwood and verified fitment. Even though numbers in catalog make it look incorrect. It is the correct kit.

5. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Well just received a message from Moser. Wilwood is out of stock on this kit and soonest it will be available is 5-13-21. Doh!!!
    Soooo, I cancelled the order. And yeah I'm kinda annoyed. Why the heck didn't they say that when I called them yesterday?

Back to the drawing board!

It looks like Moser has the drag brake kit in stock. Kinda didn't really want to go that way either. Suppose I could go with the drag brakes and just order a few extra rotors for when they warp.

IDK. Maybe time to contact this Mark Williams place. I wrote them off since they are SO expensive but I want get this done. Frustrated!

6. Fbird

you got a problem....as i doubt the wilwood set is designed to retain your axle bearing?....need to check on that. also if you must use the axle bearing retention plate BETWEEN the wilwood plate and your flange ...that will change your 2.75" ....to ..LESS (2.75 - bearing retainer)
    Next up would be to call strange and ask what they have that will fit that axle end as it is a large bearing small pattern.

7. Fbird

what you currently have can be "made to work" ...ISH. by machining XXX big and deep pocket to be used as the bearing retainer/brake mount COMBO. (can do that) but depends if the caliper is designed to bolt on from the BACK SIDE of mount or WHEEL side of mount (should typically be backside)
    however
    this will change the 2.75" reference as now you have moved the caliper mounting position ----> toward the wheel flange xxxx amount. (you would need a brake hat NOT as deep) or put thick spacers between caliper and plate ...very undesirable)

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thankyou Fbird. I really appreciate your help.
    Moser and Strange both have drag brake kits that I think will fit. Just not vented rotors and not made for street use.
    I'm currently on vacation down in FL. I'm going to dig back into this when I get back.

9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thought I would update this in case someone else encounters this situation.

Spoke to Moser, Wilwood, Strange, and Aerospace.

Aside from keeping the oe drum brakes, these kits should all work with this set up.

Strange Pro II kit specifically made for H1143 ends and Strange axles. I have Moser axles with the Strange H1143 ends. The Moser axle shafts are a little thicker. But it doesn't appear that will be an issue.
    https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/rear-brake-kit-h1143-ends-2-pc-rotor-soft-pads.html/

The Wilwood 140-11400R kit thats back ordered till late May or longer,
    https://www.moserengineering.com/Wi...oser-Gm-Ends-281-Offset-Staggered-Shocks.item
    Installation instructions,
    https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds781.pdf

And the Moser "Drag kit" 6200-1275
    https://www.moserengineering.com/62...rear-drag-brake-kit-small-gm-2-75-offset.item
    Installation instructions
    https://www.moserengineering.com/93...ort-Moser_Dynamic_Drag_Kit_Small_GM_12752.pdf

Moser said the drag brake kit does not interfere with the staggered shocks so doesn't matter. The calipers have bleeders on both ends so are not side specific.

I also spoke to Aerospace and they said they would manufacture custom brackets specifically to my application if I want to go that way. Good guys there.

Haven't made up my mind yet. But probably just going to go with the Moser drag brakes. They seem to be the most exact fit for my application.

I've been sick with Covid ever since we returned from FL. So not exactly full of motivation at the moment.