Rear end advice

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Gasoholic, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I spent the weekend at the track looking at every single 2nd gen camaro I could find. Yes I'm weird.
    There were 70 some cars vying for the open class field. I think I saw 2 camaros that still had stock wheel wells intact. They didn't qualify for whatever reason.
    Most of the cars that qualified were running 10s. There were a few 9 second cars and an altered and one other that I forgot what it was, that ended up dialing in at the lowest time allowed for the class at like 8.5.
    Watched a guy blow up his 79 Z, with too much nitrous. Talking to him later he said he had a feeling it was too much but didn't care. He has another "better" car he's bringing next month. Dam, if he didn't like his motor he could have just given it to me instead of blowing it up, I would have given it some love.

Anyway, I'm thinking, as much as I really hate to do it, I'm going to need to tub my rear wheel wells and shorten my axles.
    Also trying to decide what kind of 4 link, ladder bar, coil overs, or what I should go with for my rear end.
    I'm considering going with this moser M4 ford 9 inch housing and differential. 3:73, detroit locker or full spool, 31 spline, large yoke, etc. They make it to fit any application I choose so before I order it I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my rear end.
    Anyone have some advice in this department? Maybe give me some pointers as to what NOT to do? I hate spending money and then finding out I should have done it a different way.

2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

You can go pretty quick on a 9" slick. Look at NHRA stock eliminator cars. Your chassis needs to be solid and well set up.
    2nd gen cars going low 10's high 9's no tubs, 9 "slicks. The "Factory Shoot Out" cars going high 7's @ 170 mph also on 9" slicks.

Attached Files:

71RSLS likes this.
  3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Just some thoughts from research (mistakes others have paid for), not own experience: Detroit Lockers have been used for decades, but a lot of guys complain about unpredictability of these things when it's not locked/loaded from the line, or you have to paddle during the run. They will unlock and lock and jerk to one side, with all consequences possible.

Then concerning your rear setup: all depends weather you'll be driving the car on the street or no. Ladder bars don't like street driving, especially in combination with leafs. Coil overs are more forgiving. 4 link is the best choice for street/strip and has far more tuning possibilities over a ladder bar.

4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

What do you guys think of the Calverts split mono leafs with traction bars?

5. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've gone 10.20's on a non tubbed car with shocks and calvert bars. My buddy has been 9.85 with the shocks leafs and calvert bars..
    The suspension is KEY!......If you are looking for an ET.

71RSLS and Gasoholic like this.
  6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

My buddy has run low 10's on the "motor" and high 8's on the bottle (BBC/Auto), on leafs with no bars to speak of. My other buddy back in the day ran very low 9's/high 8's with his BBC/Auto with a small hit, 10.5W w/Leaf's and took off the "homemade" cal-tracs.

As it's been said, suspension, pinion angles, and shocks play the big roll's in hitting the marks hard. pic2 (3).jpg

Gasoholic and 71RSLS like this.
  7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thats a killer picture right there :)

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Veteran Member

He's leaning to one side as he squats. My Calvert split monos don't do that. If they did I'd eat a tire. They hang out past the fenderwell lip. 28.5 x 10.50 on a 10 inch rim.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I was right there on that day, circa 1994/5 I think. Car worked well, always loved that ride, quick and simple.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yep, stood it on the rear bumper a few more times then he and his brother figured it out and hit the 8's, my low 11 ET passes seemed so slow after that......lol

The brother took off down south in the US, landed in Georgia to work for a Pro Stock team, Kurt Johnson and his dad, then he was crew chief on Greg Anderson/Jason Lines Pro Stock teams, won a bunch there. He helped me figure some stuff out on my build early on, learned a few key things that I didn't realized mattered.

Evil Twin likes this.