rear end is off center

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by REALZ22equipped, Nov 24, 2011.

1. REALZ22equipped

REALZ22equipped Veteran Member

after installing new wheels on my 71 RS. i noticed that the rear end is not centered. is this common? i was rear ended slightly but even before this i found a picture where it showed the rear being off center

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much is it off

3. REALZ22equipped

REALZ22equipped Veteran Member

comparing both sides i would say about an inch to 2 inches difference. i can confirm it tomorow but it is enough to notice even from 30 ft away

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know mine was off till I replaced my leafs

5. ProStreet78z28

ProStreet78z28 Banned

This subject seems to come up atleast twice a month. 1st, these cars where not perfect as technology in the 70s couldnt produce a laser straight accurate car. My car has an entire new front end suspension and the driver side sits lower than the passenger.

Second your car may have been in a wreck or has damage. Look under there and see if anything is tweaked or doesnt look quite right. Being off a little is not uncommon, but if its excessive there is a problem.

Looking at the pictures, I think you have a sagging spring on the passenger side. Making it lean and appear to be offset.

6. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

My 78 TA is centered , my 81 offset about 1" if I remember to the passenger side-never wrecked. 79 Camaro looks centered also.

7. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

There is a difference between what this guy has and the common "my rear end if offset" thread ... this isn't that.

8. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

First off put the car on level concrete and then check it.

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Whats funny about this statement is that 50s and 60s slide rules did better. The
    70s was just lazy engineering and design. They could have done better, but it
    wasnt important. At the time America was number one in manufacturing, no one
    could touch us, and there was no competition. Or at least that is what the big
    three thought. Unfortunately, the Japanese learned a lot from our assistance in
    the time after WWII, and they improved on it.

I have tried everything short of having the body tweaked in a collision rack, but
    it refuses to sit level. The car has never been in an accident, springs, subframe
    bushings, etc replaced and it still leans. Swapped springs from side to side, and
    it still leans. I made spacers for the low side - no change?? Its bizarre. My '63
    Studebaker Avanti sits flat, true and even ... the 70s are just bad years. Sorry.

Tom

10. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

mine is about 3/8ths off to one side. Ive heard mine is about where they should be. I dont know that for sure but mines non wrecked untouched until i got it.