rear end question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by vince72, Oct 28, 2005.

1. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

this is not for a camaro but a 63 chevy nova. what rear end would fit that is a 5lug ten bolt, from the bone yard?
    thanks

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

The early Nova had the narrowest rear end of any Chevy car. There are no others that will bolt in. The 7.5 rear ends from the '78 and later Monte Carlo and Malibu are about the same width, but have different suspension. If you want a 9 inch Ford some of the late '50s and early '60s Ford cars have a 57 1/2 inch wide rear end that will work. The bolt pattern on the wheels will be different.

------------------
    Please notice email address has changed
    Byars Performance LLC
    High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
    www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

3. monzaracer

monzaracer New Member

how wide is the rear end in old Novas. i installed an s10 rear end in a 77 Monza with no problem ,has anyone looked at one of these they even had some s10's with 8.5's too.
    Monzas are pretty narrow ,, might be a chance they would work I have several friends with beefed 7.5's and slicks running some pretty hot engines, a good support cover a good centersection and some synthetic lube , cclip elim, and good axles make them almost bullet proof

4. monzaracer

monzaracer New Member

how wide is the rear end in old Novas. i installed an s10 rear end in a 77 Monza with no problem ,has anyone looked at one of these they even had some s10's with 8.5's too.
    Monzas are pretty narrow ,, might be a chance they would work I have several friends with beefed 7.5's and slicks running some pretty hot engines, a good support cover a good centersection and some synthetic lube , cclip elim, and good axles make them almost bullet proof

5. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that the Nova rear end is 58 inches wide. The 8.5 that is used in the S10 is a 4X4 rear end, which is 4 inches wider than the 2 wheel drive rear end. The 8.2 10 bolt that is used in the Nova is stronger than the 7.5 that is used in the Monza, Vega and S10.