Rear end ratio and tire size

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Elliott Taylor, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yes around 27" tall. On cars you can't really move things tooooo far unlike a truck. Basically if you go up 1" thats only moving your total mph 3% (give or take) so at 60 ...thats +/- 1.8 mph...not a big deal.
    On a truck that has 31" then you go to 36" ...that is a 17% jump...to + 10 MPH @ 60 (truck would be doing 70)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

Considering you can't really move up too much in height like you say, would you also say going with a taller tire won't affect the rear end too much ?

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

No. Even a 2" taller tire will affect the overall ratio very little. You may notice a very slight difference when starting out in 1st gear if you have a manual trans, but an automatic with a properly matched torque converter wont even blink.

4. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

I actually have a manual, so I won't anticipate much difference. Thanks for the info!

5. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

Rpm = (mph x gear ratio x final drive x 336) divided by overall tire diameter

Don't forget the slip of an auto trans converter, when it's not in lockup.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  6. RTSE

RTSE Member

I changed my diff ratio from 2.42 highway gears to 3.91 I had to run 17” wheels as I converted to 4w disc brakes with 13 corvette discs on the front. Still running a TH350, speedo is way out but am installing a 4sp overdrive auto so that should even it all out

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

check out speedway for a speedo drive "fixer"....little gear convertor to fix your speedo..