rear frame rail reconstruction on ex race car

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Peter Wilson, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

my 71 Z28 was converted into a race car in 1972 and the rear was mini tubbed ,inner wheelwells cut out , outers are intact , the frame rails were cut out even with the tubs . the original front and rear sections are still there . I was given a rustfree rear trunk and frame section off of a 78 parts car . are the frame rails the same ? I realize the rear sections near the bumper are probably different , but my intention would be to graft the missing middle sections in , along with the inner wheelwells and any associated cut or missing trunk sheet metal . I have the original bolt on rubber snubbers that go on the frame rail over the axle ( these were in the boxes of take off parts that came with the car when I bought it ) , I also bought a set of the weld on sway bar brackets from a nasty Z member . anyone have any idea if the middle section of the frame rails are the same between early and late 2nd gen cars ? Thanks in advance

2. Ratty_81

Ratty_81 Veteran Member

I know the rear sections are different for sure and I believe the front kick ups are the same. Not sure about the middle. Probably enough pics on the interwebs to give you some idea, though.
    Are the shock mounts gone too?

3. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

Yes , the shock mounts are gone as well , I have the whole rear frame rail , wheelwell , trunk floor section out of the 78 parts car that I can scavenge parts from . going to be a big project , one I might not attempt for awhile . at least the outer wheelwells are still completely intact so there will not be any welding to do near the quarters .
    The car had very limited use before it was turned into a race car , the floor pans and all factory sheet metal are in perfect like new condition except for the tubs . It would be a good candidate to "de-tub" and bring the rear subsection back to stock configuration