Rear Leaf Spring Removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Repoman2, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Repoman2

Repoman2 New Member

I am currently tearing down my '73 and the rear leaf springs and axle have been removed as a one piece assembly. I have all the bolts removed and now I just need to somehow separate the leaf springs from the axle. They are very tight and looks like the rubber bushing is all that is holding them in and I am having trouble getting them apart. I don't want to use a sledge hammer in fear of breaking the leafs, I want to keep them in tacked to use for a roller when I get that far.

Any suggestions on how to get them apart, thanks.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you have the U bolts and T bolts out, should be able to work a pry bar between the spring and axle pad. Or, you can use a dead blow hammer.

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Good how to video...

4. NoneToPass

NoneToPass Veteran Member

I just did the same thing (although my springs were already trashed). BP Blaster all around the spring/pad contact. It'll get sucked up like crazy. Then I gently used a wonder bar and they came apart easily.

5. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

If you break a spring with a hammer it was bad to begin with. Spring shops regularly put the curve in them in the first place by beating on them with a big sledge.

6. Repoman2

Repoman2 New Member

I got them apart and one side was already broke, thanks.