Rear shock relocation kit

arm2004

Veteran Member
May 5, 2017
S.E. Ohio
A heads up for anybody wanting to move your rear shocks inboard. After doing a lot of research i found this kit(have not seen it on here before). It is good quailty and looks to install straight foward and not stupid in price. I have not installed it yet. The company was helpfull with my questions and shipping was fast for this day and age.
https://www.performanceonline.com/1970-81-chevy-camaro-pontiac-firebird-shock-relocation-kit-rear/

Uses shocks from 1962-67 ChevyII/ Nova for stock ride height.

tomsti

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2003
Redmond, Wa, USA
Did you install? What are the differences between stock and this setup? Trying to figure out what difference this set up makes? Pics would be awesome if you have.

arm2004

Veteran Member
May 5, 2017
S.E. Ohio
I have not installed yet but pretty straight forward. It move the shock inside the frame rail and both shocks are rear of the axle. If it sounds like something you need i can send you the instructions. That should answer any questions. PM me with your email.
You would use this if you run lowering blocks ( and the shock hit the rim) mini tubbed, if you don’t want staggered rear disc brakes. Might be more reasons to use, mine is mini tubbed (2 inches done when i got the car) and rear disc brakes.
This is the only kit i found that will fit the stock spring purch.

arm2004

Veteran Member
May 5, 2017
S.E. Ohio
I am not sure about the rear sway bar- i do not have one. When mine was mini tubbed they removed the factory shock towers so i had to go inboard.

arm2004

Veteran Member
May 5, 2017
S.E. Ohio
It is not a Detroit speed mini tub kit- it was a fab shop tub ( not me but they did a very good job). I needed shock upper mounts for inside the frame and lower plates that would work with stock rear end. I ordered the Competition Engineering upper bar but sent it back. This was way better because it had the lower plates and cheaper. If it was up to me i would had left it all stock- but like evything i do make it as hard as possible.

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Gm staggered shocks to reduce wheel hop. I wonder how this impacts that.

X2^^, Good point, going to a none staggered setup, and moving them inboard does not help other than fitment.

With stock leafs yes, but wouldn't hesitate to do/try it with better hooking leafs. Some fast (drag) racers swear by moving both shock to the front of the axle to improve off line traction. Just saying.

Latest posts