Rear Side Narrowing. Brazing or Welding?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Jul 31, 2021.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I narrowed my rear seat back for the mini tubs and its all ready to go back together. Of course the issue is I don't weld. To connect these rods together, would brazing work and hold?

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Brazing is just as strong as welding. I think if you took some rod the same size as what the seat rods are and used that alongside the joint to join the pieces it should work fine.

3. badazz81z28

9C48192E-9A8A-4B06-99E4-798C51CA1FC8.jpeg

4. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

badazz81z28 likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Every time I use my Hobart Handler 210 I am "should have bought a welder 20 years ago vs 7. They are costly when you add in the bottle, a decent self darkening shield and some tools. If you can afford it and think you'll have further uses for it I'd recommend the the Hobart Handler 140, factory refurbished @ Hobart is $469. I am surrounded by refurbished tools, computers, stereo equipment, press washer, chain saw, hedge trimmer, and have had zero issues with any of them. I use mine a lot, making brackets to hang stuff in garage, corner braces for my 8' tall fence, fixing stuff for friends, it comes in handy. Stick with a Lincoln, Hobart or Miller, parts will always be easily available, I'd never cheap out on a welder. But your idea of brazing will work, or check Facebook Marketplace, there is a guy local to me who does welding on the side. I'm lucky, in my years driving a concrete truck I would constantly come across scrap steel, I'd pick up everything, has come in handy. If you got a metal mart in your area it is best to just get a selection of round, bar and angle to have on hand, beats prices at Lowes. I got tons of angle around, our maintenance guys would order a bunch for repair at concrete plant then leaveft over laying around to rust. Heck they left a 1/4" thick plate 4 x 3 feet, yup went home with me after a few months of it sitting there.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

After I bought my Mig Welder, my HS welding courses were not accepted as a prereq for a night school Mig course. I needed both Acetylene and Arc to get into the Mig course. So I took Acetylene and Arc which was one course then signed up for a Mig course which was a split class with Tig. After I completed my Mig hand in project the instructor said I could try Tig if I wanted to. Yup, I found it difficult to control my foot and both hands. I kept buggering the Tig tip which needed me to head over to the bench grinder to form a new tip. IMO, the night courses were a great way to learn the correct way to weld.

8. badazz81z28

Anyone recommend a beginner cost effective helmet?

9. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You want an auto darkening helmet that has an adjustable DIN setting knob. Mine cost less than $100 on sale. Mig is set to 10, any higher you won’t see your weld.
    I also use my helmet and acetelene glasses to watch the eclipes.