Rear spring drops with GW and Hotchkis

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Skip Fix, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Most of the aftermarket springs like Dave at F Body and Chassisworks, Global West and Hotchkis say they lower 1-1.5-2". Anyone measured before and after on a stock weight car?

Don't really want too much drop or a dramatic increase in rate but do like the second leaf going further forward.

2. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

I have the ptfb comp springs and they have 2 positions on the rear shackle to give u options on ride heights that come with the leaf kit.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unfortunately you really can't sell springs by "drop" Over the years, your factory springs have sagged - and there's not accounting for how much. Production differences in cars mean than if you put 5 brand new cars next to each other, they'll probably all sit a different heights.

Overall, I really like the Global West leafs, they are built from a much heavier gauge steel than any other I've seen.

4. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

I realize all of our cars are at different heights due to sag , just wanting some real world input if they dropped them a lot more than the sagging originals were. But they all advertize a certain drop. Kind of like coil springs they all seem to be a little different in each car.

I really want a spring where the second leaf is almost to the spring eye and not too much stiffer than stock rate. Talked to a local spring shop and they can make some for me but figured ready made would be easier. SO why does GW use a reverse eye for only 1" drop on the later second gens vs the earlier ones?

My Tri City Launcher springs are wasy stiff and picked up the rear way too much,but the car really hooks with them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have hotchkiss springs. My rear height measures 14" from wheel center to quarter lip.

6. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Camaro or TA? I think Firebird/TAs have a little taller rounder opening. My 81 TA (with possibly saggy springs) is 16.5". Thanks for the number.

78 TA is way up with the Launcher springs. The original springs on it and the 79 Camaro(which got 1"+ Calvert split leaves-I'll measure it tomorrow) both have the same arch height free except the TA has the driver's side 1/2" less arch. 78 TA is 76K miles and those springs have been off for 20 years since the Launcher springs were added. 79 Camaros just came off last year. It was about an 80K car. 81 TA is a 96 K car.

So if they aren't sagging how do you tell if the springs are too old? Since I'm pulling the 81s rear to freshen figured I might swap springs and don't really want to drop the car that much.

7. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I put hotchkis drop rear springs in a friends 73. The back of his car raised about 1 inch. The cars stance is now perfect.

8. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Sounds like Hotchkis may be a good starting point for this car.Althoug it looks like Summit just took them off a sale price.

9. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I installed the Global West L-2, 1 1/2" lowering spring. Compared and measured to an original '80 Z28 spring on the current '73. There was no difference to talk about. I suppose the old springs were sagged out.
    The wheel hop disappeared though.

10. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

I have global west L3 springs.In my opinion the best springs out there.Like Rene said, the wheel hop disappeared