Rear Suspension lower on one side

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by newt, Sep 11, 2017.

1. newt

newt Veteran Member

After getting the car on the road and driving it around it looks like the driver side rear dropped about 1/2". All the suspension is new front and back. Could the rear leaf spring be binding on the driver side? How could I check? What is the normal distance from the bottom of the rear wheel opening/lip to the center of the wheel in inches?

Also, i used polyurethane bushings....really squeaky! Any good spray out there to quiet them down even if it's temporary?

2. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

It's possible the opposite side is binding. Loosen everything up while on the ground and re tighten

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If you used rubber bushings, there really is no point for the springs to bind. If you used urethane, binding is more likely. Loosening and retightening the high side might tell you something.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

1/2" is more or less normal. loosen all 6 leaf bolts, put it on the ground, bounce it a bunch, re-measure. i bet nothing changes. then re-tighten everything while its on the ground.

5. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

I replaced my body bushings with solid aluminum. My right rear sat lower. It was actually in the passenger side body mount at the firewall. I wrecked it in the 80s (sat in the barn after that for years) and that mount was bent. I basically shimmed it, I think about 3/8". I made a new puck for that spot. Now it sits within a 1/8" at all 4 corners.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

My first question is did this thing sit level before the swap?

7. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

If you're asking me. It did before I stuffed it into the back of an impala. I basically parked it after that.