Rear suspension upgrade\spring rates

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Bruce1968, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

I have a 68 Camaro that I have replaced the front suspension with QA1 control arms, roll bar and single adjustable coil overs (both compression and rebound are affected). I went with 500lb springs. I have a 400hp sbc and Muncie. The rear is stock-like but not original with worn out multi-leafs and shocks. On the street it feels firm and responsive. I took it to the Goodguy AutoX in Raleigh this year for some fun runs and it pushes like crazy. Not surprising given the imbalance. I had always planned to update the rear suspension and would like some advice. I don't plan to ever be a "serious" racer but I do like my stuff to work well. I'll do the occasional AutoX and would like to run the track at Camaro Fest next year. So, I am thinking about going for the Ridetech 4-link system for both performance and improved ride quality (so my wife will ride in it).

Here are some of the questions I am trying to sort out.

1. Rear coil over spring rate? I am thinking 200lbs to balance with the front.
    2. I want to go to a double adjustable coil over to maybe improve the ride on the street with the ability to tune for track or AutoX when desired. I am considering Viking double adjustable front and rear. Good choice? I'd like to keep the budget under control but I do want quality parts. FWIW, Ridetech says their shock will give a better ride as they are mono tube but they are only rebound adjustable.
    3. Should I use a rear swaybar with this setup.
    4. Or is that all a bad idea and should I go with something like the Hotchkis rear leaf setup with a 1.5" drop? Swaybar?

Thanks for any input you guys may have.

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Bruce, welcome to nasty, great meeting you at show today. There are some suspension guru's on here that I'm sure can help with your questions.

3. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

Thanks Dave, was great meeting you as well.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I might suggest calling Rodney at Suspension Geek. He's pretty good at dialing in 1st Gens. Iirc he used to be around ridetech
    https://suspensiongeek.com/

5. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Whatever you decide to do, for comfortable ride motions on the street, I recommend keeping the ratio of front to rear spring rate close to factory. That would be around 175 lbs/ in. in back. Doing this will minimize uncomfortable pitching motions over bumps. Good luck!

6. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

Thanks for that tip, I wasn’t even aware of that. I chose 500 for the front springs based on what David Pozzi has on his site and 175 seems like it might match up based on that as well. Both are the lower end of the range of what he might categorize and HD street and light AutoX. Thanks.

berg2695 likes this.
  7. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

Yeah, I am familiar with him so I’ll check him out.

Anyone else here have some practical experience they can share with me on this topic?

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Being primarily a 2nd gen site the 1st experience might not be as at the ready. And the 2nd gen ridetech setup is a bit different as well

Have you tried pro-touring.com or camaros.net?

9. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

I’m on Camaros.net but haven’t tried PT yet.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

In general leaf-spring, F-Bodies don't respond well to a lot of rear spring rate. Too much and the rear of the cars just hops around. I would keep the rear rate between 150-200 lbs/inch.
    4-links have inherent issues in stock chassis. Namely the lower control arms need to be longer than the factory chassis will allow for (~42") without binding. When we did Taz, we ran a 4-link with correct geometry. The LCA mount interfered with the front seat mounting.
    Folks will argue this... but the math is the math

1st gens are infamous for their crappy factory front suspension geometry. Unless you correct it, the car will push at the limit, no matter what you do.

My suggestion (with limited information)
    Global West Upper Control Arms <these will fix the front suspension geometry)
    https://www.globalwest.net/1967-1968-1969-camaro-tubular-front-upper-control-arms-global-west.html

Global West Lower Control arms designed for the QA-1 Shocks (factory arms arent designed to bear weight and are an issue with QA-1's)
    https://www.globalwest.net/tubular-...um-bushings-camaro-67-68-69-global-west-.html

Unfortunately Global West stopped offering Leaf springs (supply chain issues). I'd be looking to DSE for leaf springs

Start bracing up that chassis (they flex a ton). Global West makes outstanding Subframe bushings and Connectors
    Hotchkis makes a firewall brace that does a ton

This is a sold street set up without spending $50K and cutting the car to shreds

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021