Rear suspension upgrade\spring rates

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Bruce1968, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

Thanks Lowend. I am already running QA1 tubular arms with 0.5" taller upper ball joint. I will probably go with a taller spindle when I move to disk brakes this winter. I have the Global West sold body mounts and will go with some sort of subframe connector when I update the rear suspension.

Do you not think the Ridetech 4 link is any better than leaf springs in either handling or ride quality?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

On the chalkboard and in practice on the track, the Ridetech 4-link is not superior to a well-set-up leaf spring setup. The geometry is simply off. In a straight line, it could have better ride quality - but that's not a given.

A set of well-engineered leaf springs and some tuning on well-paired shocks will get you here. The Hotchkis spring/shock setup is hard to argue with on a street car. If you want to go farther, there's JRi for shocks.

If you really want to be rid of leaf springs, there are "alternative" rear suspension setups that are better engineered. But again, I think they are all a waste of money from a performance standpoint vs a properly setup leaf spring setup.
    CA Chassisworks has a Canted 4-ink setup. It's a major surgery to install but the numbers are right. Canted 4-links follow different rules than 'straight' 4-links like the Richtech
    Detroit Speed has their Quadra-Link. Using some slick pivot arms they eliminate some of the bind issues of the Ridetech, but not all.
    CA Chassisworks and BMR both offer Torque Arm setups. This is basically the same design as the 82-02 Camaro.
    Hotrods to Hell makes a Truck-Arm kit. This is very similar to the rear suspension run in NASCAR. Good set up, but again major surgery to install.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    73standard and G72Zed like this.
  3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I can't speak for the other designs, or how well it performs just yet. but I have the Chassisworks torque arm and so far I am very happy with the build quality and ease of instillation (if you know how to weld)
    I had a few speed bumps with the instructions at the start but those eventually got squared away
    (also it's very expensive)
    PXL_20210206_223444944.jpg
    PXL_20210207_021946450.MP.jpg MVIMG_20200903_155511.jpg PXL_20210329_231514267.jpg IMG_20200903_161224.jpg

4. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. The Hotchkis leaf set up was my other option. I have a x pipe in my exhaust so I think that rules out a torque arm. I looked the the Detroit Speed setup but don’t want to do that much cutting on the car. I have a cheap flux core welder and to manage simple stuff but no so sure I trust myself on something like this.

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

It does not, just a different fit
    (this is a speedtech torque arm)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Car looks great underneath.

7. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

what tire and sizes are you running? The wrong tire or oversized rear will plow all day, especially on a GG course.

a rear sway bar will help the car rotate

G72Zed likes this.
  8. Bruce1968

Bruce1968 New Member

245 in front and 275 in the rear.

9. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

a smaller front tire will induce push. what kind of tire is it?

I'd invest in a good square tire setup and competition leafs before spending a ton of money on a 4 link or torque arm. That will get you out there and having fun instead of fighting the car. I'm fairly competitive on leafs and single adjustables.

G72Zed likes this.
  10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Honestly, on a 1st gen the 245/275 combo is pretty well proven. Would a square 275 all around be better on the track... sure, but that won't fit up front with out pretty major surgery