Rear Whine...maybe?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by crazygreek89, Mar 9, 2011.

1. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it!

I just got my car back from the shop and here is the dilemma I'm facing now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Sl9Tyi1w8

Is this rear whine? If so, how does one go about fixing it and cost involved?

Any advice is highly appreciated, thank you.

2. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

I'm interested in this i think i have the same thing

3. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like whine. IMO - I'd not worry about it. Some things whine and some don't. It's "normal"... probably normal for this brand of gear and it's not cost effective to continuously try and chase the noise trying to eliminate it. Unless you buy another set of gears that don't whine.

My suburban whines, both from the rear end & the transmission. I think it sounds pretty cool. The transmission has heavy duty planet gears in it and the rear end has a "superior" ring gear that's been set up as close to perfect as you can get it. and it's noisy.

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

good quality gears set up properly will not be THAT loud and the fact that it's under power only says its probably an incorrectly set gearset. That would drive me crazy. Was this a gear set that was just installed? If so bring it back.

If they are old used gears, the only fix is a new set of gears and set them up. I do gears myself because shops charge so much plus I want to see the pattern myself. If they are new gears they can be reset only if they are very fresh, once you start driving on gears if they are noisy from not being set up quite right they will probably never be quiet again even if you mess with how they are set up.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah thats a gear whine......Buy RICHMOND............similar to you Bondo, I do my own.....I'm just to cheap!!! Plus its an easy FU...by the mechanic if they don't get it right..."HMMM thats just a NOISY gear set!!!" Its just noisy cause its not thiers!! It's either right or its wrong...period....

6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with Bondo . That an't right . I bet its worse live and in person.

That would drive me bonkers for sure listening to that racket..

7. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

These are not new gears. They've been on the car for at least the past 2 owners. My brother bought this Camaro in 2000 and sold it to me last August. The rear whine started a few years back and hasn't gone away. Probably either the original gears or possibly replaced by a previous owner.

How much do new gears usually cost, plus labor? It has a 3.73 rear now.

YES! The video doesn't do the whine justice. It is A LOT worse in person!!! Very annoying. I had to drive close to 2 hours with that noise, which was a nightmare!

Will I cause any damage driving like that for the time being?

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's posi, did you add 2 bottles of GM posi additive? Check the fluid level and the drive shaft too for balance.

9. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

lack of posi friction modifier won't cause that sound, it will cause binding and low frequency clutch noise at low speeds when turning. The posi isn't doing anything when you are going in a straight line

Any online catalog or seller can tell you what gears cost, it varies by brand, type, and application, but expect around the $150-200 at least

Installs cost around $300 usually plus it's probably a good idea to replace all internal bearings at that point,

10. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

It is a posi rear, but no, I've never added GM posi additive.

So the posi additive is out of the question then?

Thanks for the info Bondo! Much appreciated!