Rear Whine...maybe?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by crazygreek89, Mar 9, 2011.

1. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have run clutch type posi units with not enough posi additive and you could feel the grabbiness and hear some low frequency groaning when turning around with the steering at full lock, at a few mph. The additive is a friction modifier so that the clutches don't do that. It's not going to affect the gear teeth, your gear oil already has to be an extreme pressure lubricant whether for posi or non posi rears.

But you should add posi additive for the clutches, whether you choose to fix the rear or not, that is standard practice. Note that some of the super premium gear oils will already have the additive in them (some of the synthetics, it will say so on the bottle if it is sufficient for make-up vs just top-off of a limited slip rear)

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First thing, throw the additive in and go to an empty parking lot and do 5 figure 8's one way then 5 the other way to mix it up well and see if some of the noise is gone.

3. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

Will do! Is there a particular additive to add or are they all universal?

4. KansasTwister

KansasTwister Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check your u-joints, had a rear whine and one of my joints went out on my k5, luckily i caught it before it let the driveshaft go. I was driving it on the highway the night before at around 65, good thing it didnt let go.

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does the noise go away when you put it the transmission in neutral? Does it go away if you put the brakes on under power at speed?

Have you pulled the drive shaft to see if the pinion has any play in it (there should be NO play)?

Does the car have sound proofing in the interior?

6. COPO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

The whine occurs after 2000RPMs and disappears after 3000RPMs only to come back at 3500PRMs. When the accelerator is depressed, the whine goes away.

My mechanic rebuilt my transmission and make sure the shaft had no play in it when he was putting it back.

Yes, the car does have sound proofing in the interior.

8. COPO

How's the tranny fluid level?

9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I think I'd me more concerned about who hacked your YouTube account and posted Lady Gaga videos....:eek::confused::p J/K

I'd say if the posi additive doesn't quieten it down....you might want to check the wear pattern on the ring & pinion. It's possible it's not at optimum settings.

10. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

Topped off. No issues there.

LOL. I took my gf to see her. No other choice. Ok, I'll add the posi additive and go from there.

Just out of curiosity, how does one go about adding posi additive. This is all new to me.