Rearend Suggestions

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by tskills10, May 25, 2015.

1. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

I am planning on doing some upgrades in the near future and I'm looking for some suggestions. I am thinking of upgrading the differential from a stock unit. I currently am running a 3.42 with a stoke limited-slip out of a 76 Camaro. So any suggestions on something that is street/ strip differential, i.e. Auburn, Eaton, Detroit, powertrax? Also was thinking about C-clip eliminators, but all the ones I've looked at have said "drag race only". Can these not be used on the street and if they are what happens? I will be installing a new stroker in the fall/winter and should be in the 500-600 hp range.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The factory limited slip basically as good as a new Eaton, and much better than a new Auburn. Consider just keeping what you have in the car.
    Changing it isn't really an upgrade. If you switch to an Auburn, it will be a downgrade.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

The 8.5 Camaro rear end has 28 spline axles. At your claimed HP level I would recommend upgrading to 30 spline axles. Moser and Dutchman make direct replacement 30 spline axles for the Camaro 8.5 rear end.

You will need a 30 spline differential to go with it. The Auburn is junk and should be avoided. The Eaton Posi and Yukon Dura Grip are probably the best. If it will be drag raced a lot then consider the Detroit Locker. The locker will work much better for burnouts and isn't going to slip any on the line.

Most c clip eliminators are for drag race only. The tend to leak oil all over your brakes when used on the street, and the small axle bearings are not designed for side loads. It's best to keep the c clips for a street car, or upgrade to a set of Moser 7900 housing ends with new axles with press on 9 inch Ford axle bearings.

Hang on to that stock limited slip unit. They are getting hard to find and they work great for lower powered cars that still have 28 spline axles. New clutches are available for them, so a rebuild isn't a problem.

4. Camaro-Chevelle

Camaro-Chevelle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  5. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

Thanks for the advise on the Auburn unit. I would like to upgrade the to a 30 spline axle. So if I keep this axle unit I'll look at the Eaton or the Detroit Diffs. I also came to a thought about another project that I have. I have a 9 inch sitting in my old S10 project. I may take some measurements and see what it will take to fit that into the Camaro. Decisions, decisions!!

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

My advice would be to spend the money right. It will be more money, but darn worth it

Moser built 12 bolt or 9", both will have welded axle tubes, bolted in axles, super strong and choice of differential

I made the mistake of building g up my 10 bolt...strong but still much to be desired

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  7. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

If the 9 inch has been cut to fit the S10 then it will be way to narrow for the Camaro.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have my original 8.5 Ten bolt upgraded with a Moroso "Brute Strength" center section with 30 spline Mosier axles ,and Baer Brakes PBR 12" disc brakes. On my 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-Touring car with a 500 HP plus supercharged small block Chevy.Super T-10 four speed and never had a problem.

9. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I pieced together a 9" rear end. Housing from a 72 mustang, N center from a truck, Detroit Locker, Ford Perf gears, Strange Pro axles...soon to be disk brakes.

Doing it again, I'd call Moser, Strange, or M.W. and tell them to send me a rig all done.

10. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

The 9 inch has not been cut. If I recall, when I did the install it was about 3 inches wider than the stock S10 rear. I gotta make some time to dig the truck out and climb around to measure the rear. It may not work, but at this point I'm playing with options.

ZS10; Doing it again, I'd call Moser, Strange, or M.W. and tell them to send me a rig all done.

Yea, I'd like to go that route, but I just don't have the upfront money to do that.