rebuild 350 sbc to Hyd. Roller or upgrade to 383 stroker?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by matt71Camaro, Jan 21, 2021.

1. matt71Camaro

matt71Camaro Member

Wanting to get some input on whether I should upgrade to a 383 stroker in a 71 camaro. My current 350 sbc engine has a solid Flat tappet cam that went flat so the engine is going to be rebuilt. I'm most likely going to put in a hydraulic roller in because I think I would get better performance out of it with lower maintenance. I will also need to change the pistons because it is currently a high compression motor (12:1?).

My thinking is if I'm rebuilding the engine with a new cam, valve springs and I need to put new pistons, I'm basically just a new crankshaft away (and connecting rods) away from making it a stroker. I will not be building the engine myself so cost may be a factor in my decision, however, I would rather pay a little more to get it right the first time rather than redo it down the road again.

Will making it a stroker cost that much (new crank, connecting rods, any machine work?) more considering what probably is going to be done anyway? I've gotten a couple of quotes for a rebuild and have ballpark figures of $6K-$8K. (Also, I realize I could go buy a crate engine for the same price but I want this engine).

I have 4.11 rear end gears and a manual 4 speed for what its worth. Will I notice (feel) a difference between a properly built 350 and a 383 or will it not be that noticeable when driving? For example, will it put me in my seat more than a 350 by increasing the cubic inches by only 9.4% (33 cubic inches). I have searched this site and other forums about this topic but would appreciate any input that you may have.

2. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

If you are doing the traditional "383" stroker which is a 3.75" stroke and 4.030" bore, with the correct compliment of pistons, CR, camshaft, heads and induction system the 383 will out torque and most likely out HP a 355 (.030" over 350). There's no replacement for displacement. If you ultimately are going to replace nearly everything in your existing 350 block anyway, assuming it is a 2pc RMS, you should at least consider a professionally built 383 based on a 1pc RMS already setup to run a roller cam. Converting early gen1 SBC's to a roller cam is pricey, the lifters is where the money is. I'm currently building a new 355 for my car and having the same debate with myself, roller or flat tappet. Since I've never wiped a flat tappet cam I'm not going to tell you to definitely go roller. Others will disagree. I'm building a date code correct CE block with driver side dipstick BUT if if didn't care about the engine looking correct, I definitely would have started with a later model roller cam ready block with a 1pc RMS. Good luck with your build.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$6-8k I would go with a GM crate engine. After losing 2 solid cams, I went with a hyd roller.

sandlapper likes this.
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

In this case. building a 383 instead of a 350 is minimal cost
    Clearance the block ~$300
    Scat Series 9000 383 Crank ~$200
    Pistons, you are buying anyways $0
    Rods (you could refurb/reuse the stock ones) $350 for 6" I-Beams
    You'll want to internal balance the rotating assembly, so $100 difference from a 350 for the mallory metal.

For ~$1000 difference in cost, you pick 10% more displacement and lot of torque
    Sounds worth it to me.
    $6000-8000 for a Hyd Roller 383 with good Aluminum heads, is right in the ballpark depending on how many goodies you include in the calculation.

Reference SP383 GM Crate engine for $7000. Basically the same thing you want to build

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

If you have long-range plans to keep the motor ... No matter if building a 350 or stroker, DO use roller cam-roller lifters.
    If budget is so tight that you cannot do both roller & stroker, DO build a roller.

• If you're buying a crate, and have long-range plans to keep it, DO buy a NEW GM roller crate; not the half-worn out stuff from the Big Reman companies.
    • When you look at realities & possibilities and read the warranty FIRST, GM has the Best Warranty by far.
    • One of most-advertised Reman companies' Warranty specifies any legal claim must be heard in their Nebraska Courts. Most all Reman are likewise. GM Warranty issue complaints can be heard in any jurisdiction anywhere in Canada and USA.

6. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

I have over 30 thousand miles on my ZZ383 GMPP Crate. Been a good engine. Was about 5,000 several years ago for the long block. Slapped on a GMPP intake and an AED 750 DP carb, DUI dist. With all accessories it was about 7,000 total. 430 hp/460 tq. And it all happens at only 5600 r's. The SP 383 is real close to the ZZ. ZZ has more compression at 10.6, but the SP has slightly better heads with bee hive springs.

sandlapper likes this.
  7. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

^^^^THIS^^^^
    and the GM 383 does it with a longer 3.800" stroke & near std bore rather than the others' shorter 3.750" stroke & thirty over bore. The GM crank has longer arms; fifty thousandths does matter.

plus+
    just last year, GM moved all crate machining and assembling OPs from Mexico to a GM partner at Springfield MO USA; yes, the USA stuff does cost more.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

If its the original engine you could always just put that one away if you to ever return the car back to stock, And then get a crate engine from Chevrolet with a warranty ,

9. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

I see a marketing play here for GM. Call it the 383 stroker plus.

wiseryder likes this.
  10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know a guy who stroked his numbers matching 70 Judge and it’s the same colour as the one in Two Lane Blacktop. He most likely regrets it now.