Rechrome bumpers or buy Repops

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
I have an original rear bumper with bumper guards and also the RS bumperettes for my 72Z. They are in good shape with no dents or dings but the chrome is pretty bad. I've heard rechroming is crazy expensive now and the repops are pretty good but I hate not to use these GM bumpers. Does anybody have any insight on this? thanks!

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
I have an original rear bumper with bumper guards and also the RS bumperettes for my 72Z. They are in good shape with no dents or dings but the chrome is pretty bad. I've heard rechroming is crazy expensive now and the repops are pretty good but I hate not to use these GM bumpers. Does anybody have any insight on this? thanks!
Hello VA...how about posting some pics of your 72?

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
Hello VA...how about posting some pics of your 72?
Not much to see right now. It is torn down and just a shell on wheels. Body work done, tons of parts repaired/replaced/cleaned etc. Motor on a stand (needs heads) and tranny sitting on a shelf (ready to go). Kinda at a point where I need to paint before I can really move forward but trying to get my ducks in a row on some stuff like these bumpers!

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I just went through this last year....I used a front AMD front bumper (std), very thick, nice chrome and fit fine. However, all so slightly the ends pointed upwards. I also have seen this with repop RS bumpers...Bugged the crap out of me...ended up finding an OE bumper and it fit perfectly. Having seen that, I pushed myself to get GM for the rear as well. FWIW, the repop rear bumper doesn't have the moon cut-outs... I got my rear bumper done by Bumper Boyz in California. Its not 100 point, perfect glass chrome, but way nice for a restored car and a driver. It cost like $300 plus core to re-chrome the rear bumper and I think $100 each for the guards plus core. If you want GM, youre gonna have to pay a little, but for fitment and knowing its GM, it was worth it to me. If this is a perfect restored car, I would pay for the high dollar re-chrome. Also...AVOID exchanging...get re-chromed what fits on your car and you know it is GM!

I recently inquired with Bumper Boyz for RS bumpers. $200 each plus core.

Last edited:

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
There used to be a member here who was in a family owned chrome business, maybe in Indiana or Illinois? I'm getting older and don't recall who it was but they did a good job on my rear bumper. I recall a few guys using a place in Florida that did good work. Hopefully someone with a good memory can post up.

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
Thanks for the detailed info badazz81. I have heard good things about AMD as well. Its nuts how much it costs to rechrome. Must be very labor intensive maybe??

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I'm with badazz on this. Very tough to get a better fit then an original undamanged GM OEM that came with the car. If it's worth it, a re-chrome gets you the proper fit guaranteed, and the chrome should last the lifetime of the car.

Yes, high quality chrome work has gone up, raw material costs, labour costs and environmental laws really puts pressure on those shops, the ones that have not closed up.

I got mine done at a top rated shop in Montreal back in 2013, front bumper only, they had a little extra work due to the mods, but got a deal at $750. Would not want to get that done today, more like 1,200-1,500 now.

oPh

Jan 21, 2022
Have done business with over a dozen chrome platers over the years. Many bumper platers, though running a tight ship, have gone out of business. Several plating sources in TX are now shipping bumpers to northern Mexico for straightening/plating. Have recently examined several pieces that made that trip & for the “local showcar“ level, the quality was fine. The chain of custody really bothers me on that deal. One thing I learned many years ago was NOT to go through a regional bumper exchange business for bumper replating. Similar deal with swap meet hustlers like the BumperBoyz, TON of bad press over the years on that crew.

With your original pieces as fairly nice cores, no bad gouges /scrapes on the peak lines, I’d call Chip @ TriCity Plating in Elizabethtown TN, send him a few digital pics & talk price. believe you will be very happy. TriCity has done very nice work on bumpers for me as well as friends, & I will be sending them more bumpers to restore. Am extremely picky with each piece going on fairly high level restorations, there are only a few exclusions that I won’t use them. Potmetal replaying is an even bigger mess, always has been. am readying a drop off load for another plater in July, am trying to get a good potion of plating needs done before there is no alternative.

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
Have done business with over a dozen chrome platers over the years. Many bumper platers, though running a tight ship, have gone out of business. Several plating sources in TX are now shipping bumpers to northern Mexico for straightening/plating. Have recently examined several pieces that made that trip & for the “local showcar“ level, the quality was fine. The chain of custody really bothers me on that deal. One thing I learned many years ago was NOT to go through a regional bumper exchange business for bumper replating. Similar deal with swap meet hustlers like the BumperBoyz, TON of bad press over the years on that crew.

With your original pieces as fairly nice cores, no bad gouges /scrapes on the peak lines, I’d call Chip @ TriCity Plating in Elizabethtown TN, send him a few digital pics & talk price. believe you will be very happy. TriCity has done very nice work on bumpers for me as well as friends, & I will be sending them more bumpers to restore. Am extremely picky with each piece going on fairly high level restorations, there are only a few exclusions that I won’t use them. Potmetal replaying is an even bigger mess, always has been. am readying a drop off load for another plater in July, am trying to get a good potion of plating needs done before there is no alternative.
I think I will check them out, East TN is not that far from me so shipping probably wouldn't be bad or for that matter I could just drive them there myself. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts