Recommend me to mufflers

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TTR230, Jun 1, 2021.

1. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

If memory serves me, there are fabricated mufflers with a trap door inside, I thought they were offered by Flowmaster, did not find them at Summit or on the Flowmaster site, but may not have used the correct search term. Bullet/glass-packed mufflers have less than idea flow characteristics and don't last too long, the packing deteriorates and blows out. A "Turbo" muffler will behave a bit differently, but does not flow as well. See the muffler test on Engine Masters Show. Good luck!

Robert stuart Bell likes this.
  2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A drone is not active at idle.

I’ll stick with my stock Walker.

jbloake likes this.
  3. firefighter_11

firefighter_11 Member

I have to agree with you on flowmaster, I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it, but back in 2002 a close friend at the time bought a brand new trans am fire hawk. It came with a free flowing slp exhaust from the factory. He ran a bone stock time off the showroom the day he bought of 12.80’-12.85’s at 108 that day. Few weeks later he had put on flowmaster hoping to improve upon that and he ended up not being able to get any better than the 13.5’s with a drop of 3 mph. Needless say he went back to the original exhaust and his times returned to his baseline.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can't hear anything anyways as these mufflers are a slight db reduction from open headers and a 600 hp sbc with a .600 lift hyd roller sounds awesome

5. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

[​IMG]

I see about a dozen different interior configurations on their various mufflers...

Hard to imagine they all sound and perform the same

6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Thrush Transverse Dynomax -

Bills69 and jbloake like this.
  7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

They probably don't, but I think that flowmaster earned the reputation before they had such a diverse line up. I'm.not even sure anyone is saying all flowmaster do it,but the reputation doesn't come from nowhere. Regardless of brand, I think a lot of that style of muffler can cause the drone, and I think that for me, a glasspack style muffler might be the way to go. I note longevity concerns, and I certainly understand that, but my car sees only weekend use so not worried about it.

8. firefighter_11

firefighter_11 Member

Give magnaflow or borla a decent look, great flow thru design and no drone. I have ran the borla pro xs mufflers before on pickups and they were mild until you hit the speed pedal. I’m kind of in your same boat right now I have two chamber flowmaster on my camaro and the drone is getting old. Lots of good mufflers out there, with whatever you end up going with!

9. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I found Jones mufflers when I built my 73, I'll be putting them on my 70 when I do the LS swap. My brothers runs them on a 51 Henry and an 80 Camaro both with small blocks.
    Jones Max Flow

10. JD Muffler

JD Muffler New Member

I have installed a lot of muffllers. In the 500HP and under I have seen the Dynomax super turbo to be the quietest while running the same et as uncapped headers. Also Hooker sells a mufflers close to the same. Both quality too.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021