Recommendation for all round disc brakes

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by simso, Jan 12, 2021.

1. simso

simso Veteran Member

Folks,

perusing ebay, and all other online stores, who and what brand is a good choice for supplying a complete front and rear disc brake package, that is, master cylinder, slave cylinder, wheel calipers, pads, cables and rotors etc basically a conversion kit to take mine from original to 4 functional discs

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ka-Ching...step 1
    HOW MUCH $$$$$ do you have?
    2. How much work can YOU do?
    3. How big are your wheels

I'm sure you could call Stainless steel brakes and write a check...be done, or Baer, willwood...etc
    So.....how big are your wheels? how much do you WANT to spend...then we/others can give you an idea how fast your going to stop.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Exactly what FBird said, need a little information, and then the suggestions can roll in , look at CPP to have completed kits at the lowest price and Stoptech , I think at the other end , and then you also need to provide, what you plan on doing with the car , track star? Auto crossing? Drag , all have different brake requirements. This is a fun part that needs to be thought out well. I

4. simso

simso Veteran Member

Well first its all got to be done by me as its got to be shipped internationally to australia.

This is for my weekend driver, Engine is a 383 efi. Wheels are just ss cragar 15x10's on the rear,

No racing or any of that sort of stuff, car leaves next week to go back to the paint shop, so i can order whatevers needed and have them waiting when it comes back.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Keeping the 15 inch rims will limit your choices, I would check CPP , they have a complete kit , call or email them for some suggestions

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Having gone down the same road, and if you're keeping the 15" wheel setup, your bang for the buck is quality oem replacement parts. There's nothing wrong with the disc/drum setup you have now.

NOT A TA likes this.
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

yeah, under 15s the choices are limited. you could do the 1LE/B-body setup up front for 12" rotors, all you need is spindles, new rotors and wheel bearings. I am not a fan of the 2nd gen firebird/caddy style iron ratchet rear calipers, but that is certainly an option. Companies like Right Stuff sell kits with those kind of calipers.

8. simso

simso Veteran Member

Thanks, food for thought

9. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I see a few Camaro guys from Australia on here, I think? I thought certain Firebirds (ws6?) Came with disc rear end, didn't they? Can you add a firebird rear-end and related parts to make it work? Provided of course that one can find such an animal being parted out down there.

I have no idea if that's realistic in the least, just thinking out loud. I had no idea you guys got camaros at all?

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

NOT CPP - they are cheap Chinese junk
    With parts availability issues, and needing a single box, I'd be looking at Baer They make some outstanding kits, many of which use Aussie manufactured PBR Calipers (so parts are easy to come by)
    Front
    Rear
    General (stay away from the drop spindles, they are more trouble than they are worth)
    https://baer.com/1970-1981-F-Body-Camaro-FireBird-TransAm-Brakes/

Wilwood also makes kits for the 2nd gen, I'm not as impressed but it's still good stuff
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/B...maro&option=Disc+Brake+Spindle&axle=Front+Kit

The 15" wheels are the limiting factor here, you just can't fit much under them.

SPG likes this.