Recommendation for correct looking waterpump and alternator

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by billkrz, Oct 31, 2020.

1. billkrz

billkrz Member

Hello to all. I am restoring my '73 Type LT (350 2 bbl with A/C) and want to keep it as stock appearing as possible. I need to replace the fuel pump and alternator and am looking for recommendations as to whom makes or supplies these items that look correct/period.
    Thank you in advance,
    Bill

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Last I checked AC Delco still made the new replacement fuel pumps. They are very close to original. The alternators for vehicles are usually rebuilt and reused so the rebuilt ones at the auto parts stores are likely original ones.

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Are you doing water pump or fuel pump ? Your thread indicates water pump and alternator. I replaced my 1980 Z28 fuel pump with a Delphi that was really close in appearance to OE.

4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Just a hint on water pumps,the "new" replacement pumps have the lower bolt boss on the upper bracket placed farther back [believe it stated about 1978] a spacer is needed to use your existing bracket.If it were me,I'd find an old school parts house if possible that has rebuilt water pumps,you should be able to find the correct casting style.I'm lucky I still have one in town and they let me root thru the inventory as needed-buying the counter guy a coke from the machine also helps ;) I'd have my original alternator [if you have it] reconditioned by a local shop if possible,Mine closed about 10 years ago.They'd rebuild your to look like new for about 2/3 the cost of a "new" POS offshore chinesium replacement.I miss those guys! Later Steve!!

5. billkrz

billkrz Member

Thanks but I'm looking for the water pump and Alternator not the fuel pump.
    Bill

6. billkrz

billkrz Member

Water pump.
    Bill

7. billkrz

billkrz Member

Thanks for the info.
    1) Does anyone make the correct water pump?
    2) I do not have the original alternator. Does anyone make or rebuild in the US a correct alternator?
    Thanks,
    Bill

8. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

What is the date of your car build? I may have a 1100597 61 amp alternator that I can build you. IMG_5390.JPG IMG_5394.JPG

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  9. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Here is an EBay seller that sells water pump rebuild kits. I bought one it has done well for over 3000 miles now. My original water pump only had 56000 miles on it though
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174204620735

10. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

This is what I did. Walked into Summit, had the counter person pull rebuilt water pumps for my year until I found one that had the correct casting (actually found two) and picked the one with the closest date code. She (counterperson) was really helpful when I explained what I was trying to do.