registration time

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, Aug 4, 2014.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Just got the 70 registered for another year. Can't do it online. I have to go in because I have Classis Car plates and you have to sign a mileage form stating you did not exceed 5k miles in a year. Not bad, only took just over an hour.
    I did realize that I only put 1500 miles on it last year. Makes me think about selling because I just don't drive it anymore. Maybe get something with A/C, better mileage, another SUV 4x4, etc.
    Who else gets to feeling like this??

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Me. And then I keep putting 1500 miles on it every year.:)

3. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

I don't even drive mine that much. Less than a 1000 miles a year. Just something to drive to cruise nights and car shows.

I'm always thinking about selling this one,,,,as I have done others.

Truly would like to have another tri 5 Chevy or a C3 Corvette.....

4. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Went to register mine yesterday after pulling it out of storage. DMV clerk says you can't , it expired over a year ago. ??? I distinctly remember seeing the 04/14 on the sticker. Go home and check it...oops. Put the sticker from the other 77 on it. Which means I drove it all last summer for free. And what is stranger is that I was stopped once and even the officer didn't catch it.

p.s. well, not "entirely" free because I don't really drive the other one and it's registration was paid for.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

In MN, collector car registration is a one time fee. My plates (all year of manufacture plates) are for life... :D

My GTO is driven the most - this past weekend Mrs. Champ and I drove about 40 miles (one way) to a supper club for dinner on Friday night. Beautiful night for a top down cruise. Then Sunday went for about a 160 mile cruise to nowhere in some very rural and hilly countryside. Stopped at a small town bar and grill for lunch. Was a little warm - but at highway speeds still a nice day for cruising with the top down.

The Camaro doesn't get driven that much any more. Could be in the 1,000 mile range the last few years. The Caddy and the 81 C10 are less than that.

But they are all paid for and I don't need the money for anything else. I'd consider selling the truck, but the Caddy has been in the family since 1958 - so selling that one is not an option.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Same in ND. My Camaro is registered as an antique car, so it carries 1970 plates and I never have to register it again or pay any more registration fees. There is no mileage limit or any other limitations on the use of the car.
    However, it mostly sits in the garage and never drives 1500 miles a year. I will never sell it as it has paid for itself many times over, and it costs me almost nothing to own now. None of today's cars will ever do that and still run.

7. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Can't sell mine, way too much invested in it. Not $ but memories, love and blood. I can't wait to get mine on the road for real. The back and forth in the driveway is killing me. Well ok I did take it around the block once. Then I put it in the garage and clossed the doors before anything happend.

8. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

same for antique plates in Virginia... I might put 500 miles a year on it.

but my Suburban is another story...
    by the time I pay for emissisions testing and the 166 bucks for plates it's more than the personal property tax value...:screwup:

taxes have gotten beyond stupid these days.:mad:

9. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In the year I've had mine I probably haven't put 500 miles on it. The plates and registration cost me $110 per year. So it has cost me 22 cents per mile to drive it. Well worth it in my book.

10. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

I've never been able to sell mine, it's basically family, I've had the ol Camaro since I was 16 (1991) and it's been my guinea pig many many times as I learned to work on, paint, etc