registration time

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Insurance? 2-3 tanks of gas?:)

I'm still debating whether I am permanently tiring of the car or not... I've owned it 23.5 years.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^Tiring, Todd?
    You've barely got the seats broken-in! ;)

Just paid for mine today.... $35 (Pretty cheap base line :D )
    Plus the Filing Fee...............$6 (okay.... Gotta be filed)
    Tech Surcharge.................$1 (Dunno when this started)
    Wheelage tax....................$10 (New this year :( )
    Plate fee.......................... $6 (Every seven years)

If I did it on-line... I would get to pay another couple of bucks for "convenience".
    Um..... Who's convenience am I paying for... Mine or theirs?

MN is phasing out the embossed character plates so I'll be stuck with those stupid flat plates now. :(
    They look like you could print your own at home.

I drive it too much to meet the requirements for antique or collector plates.
    (50k miiles since April of 2008)

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

^^you need another set of gauges lol

$0 annual registration fee for historics in NJ. who new i got a deal in NJ! lol

Todd just needs to take longer rides. Damn kids get in the way lol

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have gotten that feeling the past 8 years.

I have only probably put 3,000 miles on my 2nd gen since 2006 after my LS1 upgrade and throwing tons of cash at it.
    However......I look at it, and nothing built today is designed like it.

It does have a classic nostalgia about it.
    I know I can sell it and buy a newer Z06 or something which would make me uber happy to drive.......
    However, ultimately the 2nd gen just has a distinct and rare appeal to it in the modern era.

I have decided to remove my Aluminum del la lum bushings and go back to rubber.
    I think I built the car too aggressive for street use.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I couldnt sell any of mine. I have had plates on my 73 Firebird race car for over 20 years,and probably only drove it 1000 miles in the entire time. Of course that isnt counting the racing miles. It hasnt had an engine in it since the end of 2010,but I still have the plates,but dropped the insurance.

As for my Camaro,I have regular plates. That way I can drive it to work and not worry about getting harrassed about why I am driving the car at 6am on a Wendnesday morning in traffic. New Jersey historic plates limit you to only to and from car shows and repair shops,although it isnt strictly enforced. I got into a fender bender a few weeks back with Frankie(my 73 Camaro) in rush hour traffic. No damage to my car,but who knows how much the cost to fix the 3 day old $70K Beemer. I also dont have classic insurance,since they would have griped about me using the car to commute into the city as well. In NJ,all that is required for regular plates is a once every 2 years tailpipe test. They dont even open the hood,just put a probe in the pipe at idle,and if the car needs a Cat,they look under it. Even with a fairly hot rodded engine a 75 and earlier car would pass. They dont do any saftey inspection,so the sky is the limit with modifications to the car.