Reinstalled tranny and getting. Lise associated with clutch fork.

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by CANE, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CANE

CANE Member

Reinstalled tranny and getting noise associated with clutch fork.

So I have a 78' z28 with 4-speed. Tranny went bad, so I had it fixed. And reinstalled it this weekend. I started it up and I'm getting a rubbing/grinding sound from within the bell housing when the couch is released. It goes through the gears fine, but there is that rubbing sound which goes away if I apply pressure to the clutch fork with my hand. Did I not get the throwout bearing aligned propperly on the clutch fork? Can this be fixed without tearing the whole thing apart again?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like you put The throw out bearing on the fork wrong,have to pull it to check.

3. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

The throw out bearing would have aligned the first time you pushed the clutch in. The alignment tool help with the install of the tranny.

Some questions.

1. Did you install a new pilot bushing or bearing?
    2. What direction did you face the larger surface of the throw out bearing?
    3. What size clutch and what bell housing did you install?
    4. Was your bell housing aligned properly?

Likely you will need to take it apart again. Nice part is will be it will be fresh in your head and should only take a couple of hours.

4. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Cmonson covered it pretty well.

Ill second Pilot bushing theory though. I blew my trans up not long ago. Installed new one. Had a grinding/scraping noise in 1st and bit of second. Turned out to be bad pilot bushing. Letting input shaft get off center and causing throwout bearing to barely run on the pressure plate fingers.

5. CANE

CANE Member

1. I did use a new pilot bearing.
    2. The lager side of the throwout bearing was facing the clutch.
    3. I used the stock-sized clutch and aluminum bellhousing. There was no clearance issues with this exact same setup prior to the tranny fix.
    4. I'm assuming that it was aligned properly as it didn't make the noise prior

6. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

The pilot bearing may be the issue.

Next time use a bushing.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe the inspection cover is loose or hitting the flywheel?

8. wildcamaro

wildcamaro Veteran Member

Yea I would check pilot bushing/bearing....I wonder if anyone makes a sealed ball bearing sort of like the pilot bearing used in the newer LS motors...these bearing are awesome as they are self contained, they are similar to some alternator bearings....I have also seen the new Kevlar bushings but never knew anyone or had one myself...

This is off topic but can you take a picture of the orientation of your shifter linkage? Mine is def out of whack and wanted to compare to yours...did you remove shifter from Trans at all? I know it is easy to mess up the orientation of the shift levers as I have put on and taken off a bunch of times but I can never remember the RIGHT WAY LOL....anyway hope you find the issue, I'm interested to see..

9. CANE

CANE Member

It makes the noise without the inspection cover.

I did remove the shifter, but am certain I have the links aligned properly. That's pretty easy...before attaching shifter rods make sure all three shifter positions on the tranny are straight up and down...attach rods...tighten nuts and you're done. I'll post a pick or two later.

I can lightly push on the clutch fork or the clutch pedal and make the noise go away. I guess I'll just lay off the booze and women one night this week and pull it back apart...what a drag...

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Neutral align your shifter too when it's installed on the tranny with a 1/4" tool or make one and slide it through the center bottom shifter grooves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012