Remote Garage Door Openers On The Fritz

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bkmont, Nov 3, 2019.

1. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

I have a two door garage, all of a sudden the remotes stopped working unless you stand right under them. Replacing batteries did not help for two weeks, then all of a sudden they start working. I could open both doors from the street and in the house for the last week. Now, one won't open until standing under the opener, the other is hit and miss after pressing the button about 50 times. They all of a sudden stopped working and then all of a sudden started working and now back to stopped working..AAARRRGGHH! I even bought a new remote during the non-working period. Same thing, would only work standing underneath the opener.

The openers are 15 years old. Time for new garage door openers?

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you tried reprogramming the remotes/opener? My Chamberlain has a purple button you push so the opener learns the codes. Or you can go back to the system we used when I was a kid, I jumped out of car, ran to garage and opened it for my dad. Of course you gotta have a kid with that system and you could by thousands of garage door openers for what one of those costs you over 18 years.

bfmgoalie likes this.
  3. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Tried reprogramming. Yep I was the kid in that old system too. I was also my dad's remote control TV channel changer. Spent many an hour watching TV while laying on the floor within arms reach of the channel change knob.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

sounds like some outside interference. IIRC they have a little blue antenne wire on the top of them....? might try extending it or grounding it to the door frame metal...making it a BIG antenne?

5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

That's what i have been reading too. Also, it's reported that the LED lighting can interfere with old garage door receivers. I'll give the antenne extension a try.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What if any electrical or electronic changes have you made in the garage or surrounding area in the timeframe when this problem started? Anything electronic could be the problem, and, yes, LED bulbs are electronic and problematic.

7. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been having a similar issue, and this might explain it. My wife wanted some more light in the garage when she opened the door, so I tapped into the opener's light circuit and added two LED floodlights. Now that you mention it, I think it was around that time that we noticed the range on our remotes was drastically reduced.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Maybe look at the circuit board where the antenna attaches and see if the solder joints not cracked

9. goofnrox

goofnrox Veteran Member

Move the lights a few feet away from the GDO, and I'll bet the problem goes away.