Remote Solenoid Issue?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sandiego74, Jun 30, 2019.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jump out the solenoid, if it turns over like it's supposed to, the solenoid has gone bad.

2. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

John Wright and Gary S nailed it. Run a battery wire from starter's solenoid to battery. Remove 'Start' wire from remote solenoid and connect it to 'S' post on starter (assuming you don't have a points set up). If car starts, then remote solenoid appears to be at fault. If car does not start then i'd say one of two things are at fault. Bad starter solenoid or fault in wiring. Depending on how your car is wired too, if your running the start wire from Start key post through a fuse and from there, on to the starter, then check the fuse too. I happen to like remote solenoids. One guy said people use it as a bandaid and i can get that but they do also offer convenience. IE you don't have to crawl up under the car either in a lotta of cases.

sandiego74 likes this.
  3. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am truly stumped...

I tested it as you all suggested and moved the cable going to the starter to the post with the cable from the battery, and the engine cranked just fine. So, I figured it WAS the solenoid, as suspected. However, I just changed it out for a new one, and it’s the same issue all over again. I’ve got power at the ignition, but nothing happens when I turn it. No click from the starter solenoid switching, or nothing. Just silence and much confusion.

Here’s how I have the solenoid wired, by the way. It’s the way the MAD kit I bought suggested, and it’s worked great this entire time I’ve had it.

DD2FE9CE-6917-4828-919A-58B30CD71777.jpeg

upload_2019-8-28_18-13-26.jpeg

4. Rdobbs1977

Sandiego, i did not quite understand your last post. to confirm: Are you saying that you have ran the the big battery wire direct from starter solenoid (not remote solenoid) to the battery, and ran the 'start' wire direct from the starter solenoid (not remote solenoid) to your Ignition (Start Post on Ignition) and nothing happened? IE, you 'set the remote solenoid aside/disabled it' and rigged up the starter as if you did not have a remote solenoid? If the answer to that question is "yes" and your car failed to start or would start at one point but then not start when trying again at some other point, then in my opinion (assuming you've used a test light and found power and verified voltage at starter solenoid (not at remote) and the 'start' wire), your starter solenoid (not remote solenoid) is bad and/or you're wiring has a loose connection/wiring is grounding on something. I see no other explanations based upon what you've posted thus far. Starters/IGN are simple, 'supply 12 volts to solenoid, and supply voltage to your 'start wire' going from start post of IGN to starter solenoid. Edit: I noticed the fourth wire on your remote (not the two battery cable wires and not the 'start' wire). I assume this fourth wire goes to a junction block. If so, is that junction block supplying voltage to your fuse block? If so, you might also want to check your junction block is secure, wiring on it is tight, and is supplying voltage to the fuse block.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  5. sandiego74

Besides using a test light, I moved the top post 1 ga wire that runs to the starter on to the bottom post with the 1 ga that runs to the battery and the 8 ga that runs to the ignition. With this setup, the engine cranked just fine.

C16108CD-02B0-40CE-AA1A-F32843B3CFB8.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. Rdobbs1977

Still would like to know if you wired up your starter as if you did not have a remote solenoid and if so, what happened? In reading your last post, you removed the 'jumper wire' from the one post of remote solenoid which goes to starter solenoid and placed this wire on the post of remote solenoid that has the wire running from its post to battery. have you tried now taking that the wire that runs from remote solenoid post direct to battery and moving it to the now empty post and see if car would crank? If so, and car cranks, it would appear you had the wires reversed.

7. sandiego74

I can’t see how that would be the case, as I’ve used this setup for a while now with no issues, but I’ll try it. Maybe these solenoids are different internally.

8. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. sandiego74

Here’s what I just tried.

Took the top 1 ga wire running to the starter and moved it to the bottom post with the 1 ga wire coming from the batter, essentially connecting the two and bypassing the solenoid. The engine cranked just fine.

4F8A522F-C6A6-4BF7-AEDF-95EC9E7F6CC5.jpeg

Reversed the main-post wires on the solenoid, and the same problem occurred where I’ve got power to the ignition, but nothing clicks when turning the key. Only a few lights on the dash come on (which is what has normally been the case).

8034C339-30E9-4CD7-ABF8-19B218BFCAFE.jpeg

I even tried the setup that I knew was working, with the main cables connected on the same post, but left the wire running to the distribution block off to sanity-check that the ignition wiring was, in fact, fine. When this wire was off, I had no power anywhere.

539C7CAD-5EF5-45EA-A995-0EA9C42E6DF4.jpeg

I’m guessing this is either the wrong solenoid, or just another bad one? At least the Autozone one worked for a day. This one hasn’t worked at all...

10. Rdobbs1977

Could very well be the case. wiring things from the actual starter solenoid itself and seeing what happens could turn that guess into a reality....