Remote Solenoid Issue?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sandiego74, Jun 30, 2019.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just as an update, I tried another solenoid only to have the same, unfortunate result. I called the folks at MADD electrical, and he mentioned that the solenoid, itself, has to be grounded? I never did this before and never had an issue until now, though I do believe it is a grounding issue, nonetheless. I've got it wired so that the solenoid is bypassed so I can drive it around, though I want to fix it. I don't have the time right now, so I might actually have to pay a friend to fix it, which I really don't want to do. Thank you all for the help, though!

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How long did Mark at MAD keep you on the phone for? I called to order a few parts Thursday....1.5 hours later after he quizzed me on all kinds of stuff, made many recommendations, reminisced about cars friends had growing up in Iowa that worked and made good money at Winnebago, and about 20 other subjects. Nice guy real knowledgeable and worth the time talking to him and following his advice, he is smart! When I told him how I had wired certain things in my car he said it was nice to talk to someone who seems like they know what they are doing, guess he gets a lot of people calling who don't have a clue, was nice to know I did things right, well there were two things he mentioned that I am fixing right now to how he said to do it.

hubedobeedo and sandiego74 like this.
  3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have ground straps on the engine to the body?....if so are they large enough to carry a starting current?

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. John Wright

Another thought....do you have the solenoid on the starter connected straight to the big lug on the starter using a 10 gas or larger jumper wire?

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. sandiego74

Haha he was on the phone with me for almost an hour. He’s a very smart and helpful man, and I felt bad for finally cutting him off and telling him I needed to go. I think my first conversation with him was about 1.5 hour.

I’ve got one that runs from the bellhousing-to-engine bolt and grounded to the body, and another from the transmission-to-bellhousing bolt grounded to the body. As I said, it all worked for 2 years, and the only things I’ve changed since then are the fusible link that runs from the starter to the alternator and the solenoid in the trunk 4 different times.

Not sure about your last question, though. I have to relook at what is attached to the starter.

hubedobeedo and grzewnicki like this.
  6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't talk to family (wife included) for that long on the phone!

sandiego74 and hubedobeedo like this.
  7. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

There are different types of solenoids out there and I too had a buddy try and wire up a solenoid he "thought" wired up like a "Ford" style only to ask me what was up and the one he got from a supplier wired up differently. On the one he has picture below, the solenoid bracket does NOT have to be grounded to the vehicle BUT one of the smaller studs has to be grounded. The other small stud when 12V is applied to it energizes the solenoid and then connects the two larger studs together to pass power from the battery to the starter.

[​IMG]

On one style of a "Ford" style solenoid, you have two large studs with one going to the battery and the other to the starter but the solenoid needs to be grounded to where when 12V is applied to the correct small stud, the solenoid clunks and then connects the two large studs together AND now 12V comes out of the other smaller stud on the solenoid.

[​IMG]

Jim

sandiego74 and hubedobeedo like this.
  8. sandiego74

I'm going to check for power on the S terminal and see if I can clean up the surface where the solenoid is mounted to try and see if that helps with the possible grounding issue. I'm also going to recheck how I wired up the starter, since that, technically, is the only thing I messed with before I had this issue. Thank you for the help!

John Wright likes this.
  9. John Wright

The solenoid on the starter should be jumped out when you're using a remote solenoid.
    Only thing missing in this picture of mine is the battery cable coming from the remote solenoid in the trunk.

[​IMG]

sandiego74 likes this.
  10. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

It will work on starters that have wire wound field coils but not on permanent magnet fields!

sandiego74 likes this.