Remote Starter Solenoid - '70RS

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
Previous owner is using a remote solenoid mounted on the inner fender. The starter is a mini, hi-torque aftermarket unit. It appears P/O jumpered the activation terminal to the battery feed and activates the whole thing from the remote solenoid.
Any thoughts as to why he would do that? I see no reason to muck up the inner fender with that extra device and wiring.
Thanks in advance....

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
Funny you said that...I was going to make a snarky comment that it made my Camaro look like a Ford 🤪.
There is already a heat shield wrap around the starter and the headers are heat wrapped! I'm going to remove the remote solenoid and see how well it works wired as normal. Thanks for the feedback.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have done the remote solenoid mod and like it if for no other reason it eliminates all the amperage and VOLTAGE DROP going through the interior, and it eliminates the "always on/hot" terminal at the starter. Which to me...is one last fire hazard to worry about.
First time you pull up to a 7-11 to get gas, and come back to start the car.....and all you hear is a little "click" and no starter....you'll know why the previous owner installed it.

And since you're new..... This topic has been discussed ad nauseam.

PNW.Paul

Feb 8, 2022
I have done the remote solenoid mod and like it if for no other reason it eliminates all the amperage and VOLTAGE DROP going through the interior, and it eliminates the "always on/hot" terminal at the starter. Which to me...is one last fire hazard to worry about.
First time you pull up to a 7-11 to get gas, and come back to start the car.....and all you hear is a little "click" and no starter....you'll know why the previous owner installed it.

And since you're new..... This topic has been discussed ad nauseam.
A useful perspective. Thanks! And appreciate the reminder to search first.